Monday, December 17, 2012

Book Review: Fathomless by Jackson Pearce

Title: Fathomless
Author: Jackson Pearce
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Release Date: September 4, 2012
Edition: ARC
Genre: YA Fantasy/Fairy-Tale Retellings
Cover Review: I really like this cover. The necklace really symbolizes the story.
Tag Line: The ocean keeps her secrets.
Series: Fairytale Retellings #3
Main Character(s): Celia and Lo

Celia Reynolds is the youngest in a set of triplets and the one with the least valuable power. Anne can see the future, and Jane can see the present, but all Celia can see is the past. And the past seems so insignificant -- until Celia meets Lo.

Lo doesn't know who she is. Or who she was. Once a human, she is now almost entirely a creature of the sea -- a nymph, an ocean girl, a mermaid -- all terms too pretty for the soulless monster she knows she's becoming. Lo clings to shreds of her former self, fighting to remember her past, even as she's tempted to embrace her dark immortality.

When a handsome boy named Jude falls off a pier and into the ocean, Celia and Lo work together to rescue him from the waves. The two form a friendship, but soon they find themselves competing for Jude's affection. Lo wants more than that, though. According to the ocean girls, there's only one way for Lo to earn back her humanity. She must persuade a mortal to love her . . . and steal his soul.
Fathomless is about a young mermaid named Lo as well as a girl named Celia who happens to have special powers. Lo joined the mermaid world pretty recently, though it seems like forever ago. When she first became a mermaid, she longed to be the way that she once was. After testing a so-called "solution" to her curse, she thinks that there is no hope. As time goes by, she forgets all about her family and friends. All that she knows is the ocean and her new "sisters".

Celia is a triplet who happens to be able to see a person's past. If she touches them, she can immediately see most everything about them. The middle triplet, Jane, can see someone's present. She can basically read minds. The oldest triplet, Anne, can see into someone's future. Celia's older sisters always play games with people because they know so much about them. They also tell Celia that they are strongest together, but Celia believes that her power is useless; therefore she doesn't believe them one bit.

After helping Lo save a guitar player from the water, Celia finds that maybe her power isn't so useless after all. Celia repeatedly comes back and helps Lo find out more about her past. Finally, Lo remembers her original name as well as where she comes from. She also finds out more about her sister as well as why she is now a mermaid. Lo begins to know too much and she doesn't want to ever become what she was meant to become. Maybe, with the help of Celia, Lo won't have to become a monster like all of her other mermaid sisters.

Fathomless was a thrilling read. I could definitely see the relations to The Little Mermaid. It was absolutely unique and fast-paced. I was constantly changing my mind about where I thought the story was heading. I really enjoyed how the book had two storytellers, Lo and Celia. I also liked how occasionally we got to see the world through Lo's old self, Nadia. It was interesting to see how her mood instantly changed as well once she remembered her old self. It's as if the mermaid truly is a whole other person that is stuck within Nadia.

Even though I have yet to read Jackson Pearce's other retellings, I still completely understood Fathomless. You don't really have to read any of the past novels to understand it, which I really enjoyed. This is another reason why I love companions. Jackson's writing was great and I could definitely see her humorous side shining through the words. I'm looking forward to reading more retellings by Ms. Pierce.

Rating:


 Recommended to fans of:
The Little Mermaid
Mermaids in general
Fairytale Retellings

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

6 comments:

  1. This does sounds really good. All the re-tellings have been really good so far. i might have to check this one out too. Great review.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your review. I don't know how I missed this after reading the others. They were good. Not favorites, but I would continue the series. I do appreciate that these are individual re-tellings, so a reader can jump in anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I completely agree, a reader can just start reading them like I did. :)

      Delete
  3. I met Jackson Pearce once and I must agree she is hilarious! I'm currently taking a break from reading Sisters Red because I just couldn't get into it. But, I feel like Fathomless intrigues me much more. I really love the idea of triplets who can see the future, present, & past and a mermaid who wants her humanity back. Plus, they start falling for the same guy... I cannot wait to see what happens and I bet I'll be just as surprised as you! Plus, 2 POVs! YES! That is always the best! Great review! I'm so glad I read it because I definitely want to read Fathomless now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll be able to get into it when I finally start it. I loved teh multiple pov's. :)

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!