Saturday, December 1, 2012

Big Book Survey

I saw this posted on Laura's Adventures in Bookland and I thought I'd give it a try! If you'd like to join in, feel free to! I don't know who started this tag.

1. Favorite childhood book?
My favorite childhood book... I'm not quite sure. I remember really enjoying the Magic Tree House books, Junie B. Jones, Judy Moody, and all the Dr. Seuss novels.
2. What are you reading right now?
I'm currently reading many books. Let's see... one of the books I'm currently reading is The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I'm really enjoying it and I can't wait to see it on the big screen! It's nothing like Twilight at all. It's a completely different world with completely different characters. It's like a futuristic romance with adventure! I'm also reading Life as One Direction by One Direction. I'm almost done with it. Another book I'm reading is The Morganville Vampires first bind up by Rachel Caine. I was really enjoying it but I don't remember why I ever put it down. The last book I'm reading right now is Two Truths and a Lie by Sarah Shepard. I haven't exactly started it yet really. I'm only like on the second chapter.
 
3. What books do you have on request at the library?
At the moment I don't have any books on hold at the library. I usually only go to the library over the summer or over break.

4. Bad book habit?
I don't think I have a bad book habit. I'm not a page bender and I don't read books with the dust jacket on it.
5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
I don't have any books checked out at the library at the moment.
6. Do you have an e-reader?
I don't have an e-reader. If I had to choose, I'd probably go with a Kindle just because Amazon has amazing prices.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I like to say that I only read one book at a time, but sadly it isn't true. I usually start a book and then get distracted when I see another book that I'd rather read.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
Not really, I don't think. I never really focused on the writing of a novel, more the story than anything else.

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
I don't think that there was a book that I absolutely didn't like this year. The lowest rating I've given this year was 3 stars. My 3 star (okay books) books include All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin, The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, and The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher. I didn't not like them but they weren't particularly my favorite either.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
Definitely The Selection by Kiera Cass. I absolutely loved it! I also really liked Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky and Struck by Jennifer Bosworth.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
I only read out of my comfort zone when I'm in the mood for something new. Usually this happens with contemporaries, as I'm more of a science-fiction and fantasy kind of gal.
 
12. What is your reading comfort zone?
I'll read anything dystopian, historical, science fiction, and fantasy as long as it is in the young adult category!

13. Can you read on the bus?
If this includes cars, then yes. I don't really go on buses at all, but I can't imagine trying to read on a bus with tons of people talking.

14. Favorite place to read?
Either in my bean bag or laying on my bed covered with tons of blankets.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I don't usually lend out books. When I do, I give the book without the dust jacket. I usually only lend to trusted friends. :)

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
Nope. I don't like damaging books.
17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Nope. I do take notes sometimes though.
 
18. Not even with text books?
Text books are a sometimes.

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English. The only other language that I know is French, and I only read the easy readers!

20. What makes you love a book?
I love the unpredictable books as well as the books that keep you guessing nonstop!
21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If I loved a book so much and I think that more people need to know about it, I'll recommend it.

22. Favorite genre?
What do you think? Dystopian genre! I guess that would be typically science fiction...

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
I don't know. I guess the only genre I ever really want to read is science fiction. Sometimes I wish that I read more contemporary or fantasy.

24. Favorite biography?
Even though I'm not done with it,  Life as One Direction by One Direction. The only other biography I've read is Miles to Go by Miley Cyrus.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Nope. I've never had a reason to.

26. Favorite cookbook?
I don't usually cook anything besides macaroni and cheese.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
I'm not sure I've ever read an inspirational book. Maybe The Fault in Our Stars by John Green or Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, because you never know how long you really have. Everyone should live everyday to the fullest.

28. Favorite reading snack?
Hot chocolate!

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
I actually have a biweekly feature on basically the same thing. I think I'd have to say either Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher or The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don't usually read what critics have to say.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I haven't really had to give one yet. I really don't think there is such thing as a negative review... there is always one thing that someone likes about a book.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
French? It's the only other language I'd ever want to learn.

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
I'd have to say The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I'm reading it right now and I was so scared when I started because it's huge. It's funny though because I'm on page 321 and I just started it!

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
A Game of Thrones. I've heard great things about it though, so I should start it sometime.

35. Favorite Poet?
I don't really read poetry. I guess the only poetry I've ever read was Shel Silverstein's.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
7.

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
This happens often to me. I usually forget about my library books.

38. Favorite fictional character?
Finnick from The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins or Prince Maxon from The Selection by Kiera Cass.


39. Favorite fictional villain?
Voldemort!

40. Books you’re most likely to bring on vacation?
On vacation I tend to move towards contemporaries.

41. The longest you’ve gone without reading.
Maybe a week or so?

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
I haven't ever NOT finished a book. I usually just put it off and I end up getting to it the next month... or year.


43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
When people talk or make to much noise I usually can't read. I don't mind T.V.

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins was my favorite movie adaptations. All of the changes made really gave the audience a better perspective of the novel.

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
I don't think I've been disappointed by a film adaptation before. Sure, some can be pretty bad, but I usually enjoy at least some part of it.
 46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
$70 or so. I spend more when I buy books online.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I don't think I've ever skimmed a book before I read it. I feel like that would ruin the experience!
48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
If I feel as if the book isn't going anymore I will usually stop. I would end up going back and finishing it some time later though.
49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
I have a shelf full of all the books I've read and reviewed/need to review for the blog. I also have a bookshelf of TBR hardcovers and I have another bookshelf of TBR paperbacks.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I usually like to keep them. If the book was just okay, I'll either donate it or give it to a friend.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
I don't think so...
52. Name a book that made you angry.
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Why, Finnick, WHY??

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Graceling by Kristin Cashore. I wasn't so sure if I'd like the whole fantasy thing because the only other fantasy books I'd read was Harry Potter.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
I don't think this has happened before.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
Probably either the Clique series by Lisi Harrison or anything contemporary. I feel like I'm not really reading when I read contemporary.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I forgot all about Junie B. Jones and Judy Moody! We were read those in elementary school. They were good. I'm glad you liked The Selection. I just bought that book this week and I've heard such mixed reviews on it. I had fun reading all your answers!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!