Friday, November 23, 2012

Book Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Title: Under the Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Publisher: HarperCollins
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Source: Bought
Edition: Hardcover (376 pages)
Genre: YA Dystopian
Cover Review: I love the cover! It's so much prettier in real life.
Tagline: A million ways to die. One way to live.
Series: Under the Never Sky #1
Main Character(s): Perry and Aria

Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.
Under the Never Sky is about a girl named Aria who is exiled from Reverie, which is her home. Reverie is a sheltered dome where life is perfect. Humans spend hours with their SmartEyes in virtual worlds. These virtual worlds were made so that nobody had to know about how bad it is outside the dome. Outside the dome, Aether storms rule. They are these bad storms that can kill people easily and destroy anything in its path.

After finding that her mom can't seem to contact her anymore, Aria decides to start flirting with the only guy she knows that can possibly tell her about what's going on. Aria's mom left to go to Bliss, another dome, to do some research. Nothing goes according to plan, and quite a few lives are taken. Nobody is supposed to leave the dome, and when Aria leaves with the guy and his friends, the blame gets pinned on her. During the time that she's in the dome, the guy starts a huge fire and an outsider ends up coming in and saves her.

Now exiled from her home, Aria must try and survive outside. While walking around, she ends up finding the guy who just so happens to be the same one who saved her during the fire. His name is Perry. Since Perry's nephew was taken by the people that work in the dome, he decides to help Aria. He hopes that she'll be able to lead him to where he needs to go. Perry and Aria are in for a journey of a lifetime.

I absolutely loved the characters in this book. Aria started out as an insider, acting wimpy and not doing much for herself. She definitely grew a lot throughout the novel, which I absolutely loved. She began to not depend on anyone except for herself, and she even fell for someone after thinking that he was a "Mole". She was definitely very different on the last page of the book rather than the first page of the book.

Perry was an outsider to begin with. He happens to have these abilities where he can know what other people are thinking. He can smell what other people's emotions are. You can't keep anything secret from him. He also has amazing taste buds. Perry can taste every little morsel of food. I really liked how throughout the novel Perry started to really open up. He puts on this tough guy act, when in reality he's just another normal guy.

I think this book was absolutely thrilling. I couldn't stop thinking about it. The characters were amazing and I loved the romance. I liked how it didn't happen right off the bat and it took a while for them to actually fall for each other. I can't wait to read Through the Ever Night.

Rating:

Recommended for fans of:
Dystopia!!
Unputdownable novels
Relatable characters

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review!! I'm just into the first fifty pages of UNS but man - it is amazing! I just started being a little tired of dystopians and then I read about the smarteye and I could not stop myself fro reading further!! Which reminds me..I need to go read this book again...like...now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing Aria and Perry's relationship develop-no instalove there! Can't wait to see what happens in the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Krystianna, I'm glad you loved this one as much as I did! I seriously fell in love with Under the Never Sky, to my complete surprise. I'm not a big romance fan, but I seriously swooned for the romance in this one! I loved how it was so slow building. I also loved the character development with Aria! You're so right, she definitely did change from the beginning until the end. =)

    Fantastic review! Thank goodness we have only a few more months to wait until Through the Ever Night, the wait has been perilous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous review! I've actually tried many a time to pick this book up and read it, but I haven't been able to finish it due to some other matters. This provided me with a new perspective for the book! :)

    By the way, following you back!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!