Monday, November 19, 2012

Book Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (361 pages)
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Cover Review: The cover is okay. The models do look like how I pictured the main characters.
Tagline: They're not like us...
Series: Lux #1
Main Character: Katy Swartz

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.
In Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout, we follow Katy as she tries to make friends in her new town. Even though she'd rather stay inside and spend her time reading and blogging, her mom thinks that it's about time that she make some friends. Her mother suggests the young boy and girl living next door since they seem to be about the same age.

One day, Katy decides to go next door and ask them for directions. She walks herself over and this boy named Daemon opens the door. He's full of smart-alic comments. Daemon really starts to get on Katy's nerves. In the end, he ends up getting the directions, and she's off.

Once she gets to the grocery store, she ends up meeting this girl named Dee who just happens to be Daemon's twin sister. The two end up becoming close friends, even though Daemon keeps telling Katy that she needs to stay away from his sister. Katy even starts to become close to Daemon... but at what cost?

I thought this book was absolutely amazing. After I found out that Katy was a book blogger and she loved reading, I suddenly felt this deep connection with her. I think out of all the books I've read, Obsidian had the most relatable characters. I absolutely loved Daemon and Dee and I really enjoyed learning about their past. I also really liked Jennifer's writing. I found it to be very descriptive; I love descriptive writing!

I think that there should be some more Alien novels in YA. I feel like the only two alien books I know of are the Lux novels by Jennifer L. Armentrout and the Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore. I think that this new spin on aliens was really exciting and enjoyable. I'll definitely be picking up the next book sometime soon.

Rating:

Recommended for fans of:
The Lorien Legacies by Pittacus Lore
Jennifer L. Armentrout
Characters with interesting stories of the past

Have you read Obsidian? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

7 comments:

  1. I definitely agree on how Katy was relatable, that's what made me like her. If she was a typical Mary Sue that met every cliche in the dictionary it might have ruined the story for me. Katy was one of my favorite parts in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy was awesome! The fact that she was a book blogger definitely won her some bonus points with me :)
    Are you going to read Onyx soon? I hear it's even better than Obsidian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Katy and Daemon! Their chemistry is off the charts ^^ I'm reading Onyx right now and it's just as good if not better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to read this series, but I have so many other books on my TBR pile that I have to get caught up first. Thanks! I love characters so glad to hear they are good in the book! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh!! LOVE OBSIDIAN! I felt a connection with Katy since she was a book blogger too! And, I think that there should be more alien books too! JLA is an amazing author! You should try her Covenant series too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely loved this series and just recently posted my review. I also read Onyx, which I think is even better as there is more plot development. Can't wait until Opal comes out in a couple weeks. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
    Tammy @ http://bosbooknook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore Obsidian so much!! So glad you liked it! :D The sequel Onyx is even better than the first - definitely read it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!