Monday, November 26, 2012

Book Review: Graceling by Kristin Cashore

Title: Graceling
Author: Kristin Cashore
Publisher: Graphia/Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Release Date: September 7, 2009
Source: Library
Edition: Paperback (471 pages)
Genre: YA Fantasy
Cover Review: This cover really signifies the story, therefore I love it!
Tag Line: N/A
Series: Graceling Realm #1
Main Character: Katsa

His eyes, Katsa had never seen such eyes. One was silver, and the other, gold. They glowed in his sun-darkened face, uneven, and strange. She was surprised that they hadn't shone in the darkness of their first meeting. They didn't seem human....

Then he raised his eyebrows a hair, and his mouth shifted into the hint of a smirk. He nodded at her, just barely, and it released her from her spell.

Cocky, she thought. Cocky and arrogant, this one, and that was all there was to make of him. Whatever game he was playing, if he expected her to join him he would be disappointed.
In a world where people born with an extreme skill - called a Grace - are feared and exploited, Katsa carries the burden of the skill even she despises: the Grace of killing. She lives under the command of her uncle Randa, King of the Middluns, and is expected to execute his dirty work, punishing and torturing anyone who displeases him.

When she first meets Prince Po, who is Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change.

She never expects to become Po's friend.

She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace - or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away...a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.
Graceling is about a young girl named Katsa who has one of the best Graces in the seven kingdoms. She can kill people easily. In the past, she has even killed people by accident. How else do you think she found out what her grace was? In the process of bringing someone back by the order of Uncle Randa, Katsa ends up finding another fighter. At least, she thinks that this guy is like her.

We later meet Po again and we find that he followed her home because the guy that they saved was actually his grandfather. He was going on a mission to save him as well. Po and Katsa go on the adventure of a lifetime.

Katsa was pretty funny. She almost reminded me of Katniss because she was an awesome fighter and she was sort of spunky. I really liked how after a while, Katsa decided that she didn't want anyone telling her what to do anymore.

Po was really awesome. I instantly fell in love with him after I met him. I think that he and Katsa were alike in so many ways. I could write an essay about it! After the ending of Graceling, I'm definitely going to pick up Fire, even if it is just a companion. I can't wait to read more books set in this amazing setting. This book really got me back into reading fantasy again as well. I hadn't read fantasy in the longest time and I really wanted to read more afterwards.

Rating:


 Recommended to fans of:
High Fantasy
Non-insta-love
Great Character Development

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this book, I read it at least 5 times. I love the whole series, so far I think the second book Fire is the best. However, I have yet to read the last book. So, I can't really tell you what the best one in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorites! Glad you enjoyed it! Fire is even better, in my opinion. You are right in saying that these books are not insta-love, one of the things I love, love about them! Can't wait to see your review on Fire!

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I own book two but not book one, though I have heard awesome things about this series!

    I like the sound of Katsa and Po, can't wait to read about them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear you really liked this one! I loved it too :) Such a well written story and awesome characters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how similar the names Katsa and Katniss are because both are great characters (and fighters). Nice reference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't read your review yet, but the last part drew me in because there's no insta love! NICE! I have all these books and haven't picked it up yet. Eeks!
    ------
    Giselle @ Book Nerd Canada

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you loved it! This is one of those "everyone has read them" books that I really need to catch up and read!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!