Friday, November 16, 2012

Book Review: Elixir by Hilary Duff

Title: Elixir
Author: Hilary Duff
Publisher: Simon & Shuster Books for Young Readers
Release Date: October 12, 2010
Source: Borrowed
Edition: Hardcover (327 pages)
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance & Mystery
Cover Review: I think the cover is pretty. It's very simple and I love how there are opposite colors on the flower.
Tagline: N/A
Series: Elixir #1
Main Character: Clea Raymond

Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. The daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington DC politician, she has grown to be a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a career that allows her to travel to the most exotic parts of the world. But after Clea’s father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, Clea’s photos begin to feature eerie, shadowy images of a strange and beautiful man—a man she has never seen before.

When fate brings Clea and this man together, she is stunned by the immediate and powerful connection she feels with him. As they grow closer, they are drawn deep into the mystery behind her father’s disappearance, and they discover the centuries old truth behind their intense bond. Torn by a dangerous love triangle and haunted by a powerful secret that holds their fates, together they race against time to unravel their pasts in order to save their lives—and their futures.
After finding a man in many of her photos, Clea goes on a mission with her friend, Ben. The strange thing is that she actually dreams about him a lot and it's come to the point where she actually makes herself believe that he is real. At one point, Clea actually sees the man that she's been dreaming about. She can't believe it. Clea believes that they must be soul mates.

After searching in her father's office, she finds that her father might of been looking for the Elixir of Life and it turns out that he might have known too much about it. The only person who seems to know a lot about this Elixir is Sage, the guy from her dreams. With the help of Sage, she and Ben go on a search for her father and the Elixir of Life.

I was really pleased with this book. I think Hilary Duff is a pretty good writer and I'm excited to pick up book 2, Devoted. One of my favorite things about this book was the whole soulmates idea. I seem to love paranormal romances where the two main characters were supposed to be together all along. I loved how they had a history together and Clea just never knew that. I also really liked how Clea learned a lot through her dreams. This was the first YA book that I've read where dreams play a big role in the story. Props to you, Hilary Duff!

Rating:


 Recommended for fans of:
Hilary Duff
Paranormal Romances
Soulmates
Alyson Noel
The Immortals Series by Alyson Noel

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the first book 'Elixir' too, but was a little dissapointed that she had help writing it and only credited the other writer in the thankyou notes in the first book. In the second book she actually gets a mention as one of the authors.

    I really like Ben. Team Ben all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see what happens in the next book.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I've never heard of this book. It's written by Hilary Duff? oooh. it sounds like a good book! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh, I'm not so into the books written by "celebs" but glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First thanks for stopping by my blog and I am NEW follower!! I am glad you stopped by because I was able to find you and this review. I have been looking at this book and wasn't sure. Love your review and the suggestion of who may like this book. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!