Friday, October 26, 2012

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Title: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: 2007
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (288 pages)
Genre: YA Realistic Fiction
Cover Review: I really like this cover. It's very simple and I love how it has tape; it ties in with the story.
Tagline: N/A
Series: N/A
Main Character: Clay Jensen

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker - his classmate and crush - who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why. Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and learns the truth about himself-a truth he never wanted to face.

Thirteen Reasons Why is the gripping, addictive international bestseller that has changed lives the world over. It's an unrelenting modern classic.
As soon as I started this book, I had a feeling that I'd enjoy it. It was pretty good. The main character, Clay, was a really interesting character. We started off not knowing much about him at all. I really liked how every time we listened to a tape with him, we would get sort of these "flash-backs". It really helped the character understand him in a different way than straight out telling you what his character is like.

Thirteen Reasons Why was full of mystery and amazing characters. Especially Hannah Baker. I felt deeply bad for her and all the situations she was in. All she wanted was to fit in. She didn't ask for anything more. Really, she didn't ask for anything at all. It makes me wonder what would have happened if she never came to Clay's school to begin with. Would her life turn out differently? Would she still be alive? I did find the book to be a bit slow at times, but I believe that it was necessary. If everything was told to you right in the beginning, there would be no story.

All in all, I'd recommend this book to everyone. I feel like it's one of those classic YA type books that all book fans need to experience at least once, if not more. I can't wait until Jay Asher writes another book, as I know that I'll be sure to pick it up!

Rating:

 Recommended to fans of:
Jay Asher
The Future of Us
Contemporaries
Real World Situations

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait til Jay Asher writes another book too!!! He co-wrote The Future of Us which was about facebook and was pretty cool, but I'm wondering if he's going to get deep like this again. Anyhow I thought the cassette tape idea was really different and I like different :) Nice review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked The Future of Us. It was one of the best contemporaries I've read!

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!