Monday, October 29, 2012

Book Review: Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Title: Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side
Author: Beth Fantaskey
Publisher: Graphia
Release Date: February 1, 2009
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (351 Pages)
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Cover Review: Alright, I don't like the cover that much. I do really like the girl's dress though as well as the font of the title.
Tagline: The undead can really screw up your senior year...
Series: Jessica #1
Main Character: Jessica/Anatasia Packwood

The undead can really screw up your senior year . . .

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancĂ©. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war — and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction.

In Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side, we get a glimpse into a different world of vampires. Our protagonist, Jessica Packwood, thinks that she is just a normal girl. She doesn't feel like there is anything special about her at all. So when she finds this young man, Lucius, watching her, she doesn't know what to think.

After Lucius convinces Jessica's parents that he needs a place to stay, we find out the real truth. Jessica and Lucius have been set to marry since their birth. It was all planned out just so that a long-lasting feud between two vampire families could finally end. Jessica isn't the biggest fan of this, especially since she didn't get any say in it whatsoever.

After many attempts of trying to play nice, Lucius finally gives up. He starts to agree with Jessica-they should've had a say in the matter and they probably won't see this marriage through. They don't want to listen to their long dead parents. Jessica also thinks that she will never come to love Lucius. He, on the other hand, starts out really liking her.

Lucius finally stops liking Jessica. She can't stand him... but do they end up falling for each other anyway?

This book was a really great read. I didn't quite understand why people were saying that this was kind of a "dark" book, because I found it not that dark at all. I guess that's what happens when you read a lot of dystopians. I thought that this was a great book to get one into the mood of Halloween. It was a great paranormal romance filled with characters that are easy to relate to-especially Jessica.

Rating:


 Recommended for fans of:
Vampires
Paranormal Romance
A Good Halloween Story!

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked this book. I didn't but I agree with ur review, Jessica was easy to relate too and yeah this book wasn't really a dark read. I f you enjoyed this book you should REALLY read her other book : Jekel loves hyde by Beth. I LOVED THAT ONE!

    -Lizzy @ Read-A-holicZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to check that book out! I liked the writing so I'll probably like her other books too. Thanks for the rec!

      Delete
  2. I don't find the book dark either.. I also loved it.. if it wasn't for all the raving reviews of this book, i would of probably passed on it.. the cover is a little cheesy. But I am glad I did, cause it sucked me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably would have passed it up as well.

      Delete
  3. I heard great things about this book. Well, this one and the sequel. And they do sound perfect for Halloween. Not a dark read? Doesn't matter, I'm a fan of light and dark reads.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this was an interesting vampire story-different from a lot of others. I don't remember thinking it was that dark but everyone has different definitions so that may account for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was different as well. I love it when books are original. :)

      Delete
  5. Loveee the sound of this book from the synopsis.. Definitely going to have to get myself a copy of this one! Great review :)

    -Laura
    What's Hot?

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!