Friday, October 12, 2012

Book Review: Heir Apparent by Vivian Vande Velde

Title: Heir Apparent
Author: Vivian Vande Velde
Publisher: Sandpiper
Release Date: June 1, 2004
Source: Purchased
Edition: Paperback (352 pages)
Genre: YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Cover Review: I didn't quite understand this cover in the beginning, although after reading I do. I really like the cover!
Tagline: N/A
Series: N/A
Main Character: Giannine

In the virtual reality game Heir Apparent, there are way too many ways to get killed--and Giannine seems to be finding them all. Which is a darn shame, because unless she can get the magic ring, locate the stolen treasure, answer the dwarf's dumb riddles, impress the head-chopping statue, charm the army of ghosts, fend off the barbarians, and defeat the man-eating dragon, she'll never win.

And she has to, because losing means she'll die--for real this time.

In Heir Apparent, we follow Giannine as she struggles to get through a video game titled the same as the book. She lives in a world where you can go to arcades and actually be hooked up to the game. Once hooked up, you can feel, touch, hear, taste, and even smell everything that your character can. You can also have all the memories of your character as well as your own.

Once Giannine is in the game, some protestors broke into the arcade and now she is stuck in it. She must try to live or she might die forever. She may have no second chances before time is up. She must try to beat the game by making the right decisions and befriending the right people.

This book was so good! I absolutely loved how I didn't ever feel bored while reading. Even though it repeats a lot because she is repeatedly sent back to the beginning of the story, I never felt like it really was repeating. I absolutely loved Giannine. It was cool to see what decisions she would make compared to my own. I loved following her around as she explored this fantasy world. I'm really starting to like Vivian Vande Velde's novels.

Rating:





Recommended for fans of:
Fantasies
Sci-Fi's
Video Games

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

4 comments:

  1. Read this quite a while ago. It think it was on a student choice award list for our state one year. I really enjoyed it. At the time, it was a really unique premise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book so much! It's just a ton of fun and even though I'm not a gamer, I still felt completely caught up in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!