Monday, October 8, 2012

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Publisher: Dutton Books
Release Date: January 10, 2012
Source: Bought
Edition: Hardcover (313 pages)
Genre: YA Contemporary
Cover Review: I really like this cover. I love blue! I also really like how the font looks like chalk.
Tagline: N/A
Series: N/A
Main Character(s): Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster


Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

 I absolutely loved this book. As I've said in past reviews, I'm not always the biggest contemporary fan. This was my first John Green book and I can't wait to read more by him. Hazel was diagnosed with cancer as was Augustus. Augustus seems to be perfectly fine while it seems as if everyone finds it a miracle that Hazel is still alive.

I absolutely loved how their were many twists in this book. Especially the totally unexpected twist at the end! I was definitely not prepared for what happened.

My favorite character would have to be Augustus. He was hilarious and I love how he spoke. He was just an excellent character all around. I wish there were more Augustus' in literature! I read this book pretty fast as I could just not put it down. 

Rating:



Recommended for fans of:
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Excellent contemporaries
Thought-provoking fiction

6 comments:

  1. I definitely enjoyed The Fault in our Stars and I tried my hardest not to cry while reading it, but ended up bawling at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was amazing. I can't wait to read more by John Green. :)

      Delete
  2. This is definitely a book that sticks with you... John Green is pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!
    I liked the post.
    I am yet to have an encounter with any John Green books. Do you think I should take up this one or Looking for Alaska first?

    regards,
    dwayne of Anchorage Personal Injury Attorney

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED The Fault In Our Stars, I finished it in maybe 4 hours. It was beautiful...

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!