Saturday, September 15, 2012

Stacking the Shelves (6) + Update

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews.

I got 5 books this week, which is pretty good considering I didn't get any last week.

In the wake of her best friend Ingrid's suicide, Caitlin is left alone, struggling to find hope and answers. When she finds the journal Ingrid left behind for her, she begins a journey of understanding and broadening her horizons that leads her to new friendships and first love. Nina LaCour brings the changing seasons of Caitlin's first year without Ingrid to life with emotion, honesty, and captivating writing.
 








Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair: perfect, Parisian (and English and American, which makes for a swoon-worthy accent), and utterly irresistible. The only problem is that he's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her almost-relationship back home. As winter melts into spring, will a year of romantic near - misses end with the French kiss Anna - and readers - have long awaited?




Raised in a cabin in the middle of nowhere by a mother who despises him, the doppelganger has left home at last. He is making his way toward human society. He's coming to do what every member of his monster race must: find an unsuspecting human and make his first kill. He will then take that shape and identity for himself.

Doppelgangers are not supposed to have doubts. But this one does. His mother was right. He's weak. Too human, maybe. But even that can't stop him from killing. He has to do it. It's who he is.

It is only after stepping into the life of a small-town teenager that the doppelganger learns that his may not be the only cruel existence. In fact, maybe monsters aren't always who we think they are.



Darren Shan and his best friend, Steve, get tickets to the Cirque Du Freak, a wonderfully gothic freak show featuring weird, frightening half human/half animals who interact terrifyingly with the audience. In the midst of the excitement, true terror raises its head when Steve recognizes that one of the performers-- Mr. Crepsley-- is a vampire
Stever remains after the show finishes to confront the vampire-- but his motives are surprising In the shadows of a crumbling theater, a horrified Darren eavesdrops on his friend and the vampire, and is witness to a monstrous, disturbing plea. As if by destiny, Darren is pulled to Mr. Crepsley and what follows is his forrifying descent into the dark and bloody world of vampires.
This is Darren's story.


Kayla Dean, junior feminist and future journalist, is about the break the story of a lifetime. She is auditioning for the Lady Lions dance team to prove they discriminate against the not-so-well endowed. But when she makes the team, her best friend and fellow feminist, Rosalie, is not happy.

Now a Lady Lion, Kayla is transformed from bushy-haired fashion victim to glammed-up dance diva. But does looking good and having fun mean turning her back on the cause? Can you be a strong woman and still wear really cute shoes? Soon Kayla is forced to challenge her views, coming to terms with who she is and what girl power really means.

Narrated with sharp language and just the right amount of attitude, The Kayla Chronicles is the story of a girl's struggle for self-identity despite pressure from family, friends and her own conscience. Kayla's story is snappy, fun and inspiring, sure to appeal to anyone who's every questioned who they really are.


What books did you add to your shelf this week?

UPDATE

I don't know if you have noticed, but I now post reviews every Monday and Friday. I also post my weekly releases every Sunday, and Waiting on Wednesday is of course, on Wednesday. I thought I'd tell you that I've decided to start doing some of my ideas from my What's in Store on the Blog post, so be on the look out for those! I'm starting Great Expectations this week, which will be hosted on Thursdays, every other week.

26 comments:

  1. Great haul! I really enjoyed Anna and didn't want to put it down when I read it! And Cirque du Freak is so much fun XD
    I haven't heard of Hold Still before but it sounds like one of those somewhat-painful-but-ultimately-rewarding kind of reads.
    Enjoy the books :)

    Here's my StS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold Still does sound like that! Almost like If I Stay, in a way.

      Delete
  2. Anna and the French Kiss is high on my contemporary reads list! I can't wait for your review of it! Everyone seems to adore the book and I hope you will too. ;) Happy reading.

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice haul! I've read Anna but I really want to read Hold Still!

    Also nice new blog layout, I'm probably late in noticing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very interested in Cirque du Freak after loving Shan's The Thin Executioner. Hope you love your reads!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice haul! I've heard mixed reviews about Anna so I hope you enjoy it!

    Here's my STS

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Anna and the French Kiss! It is such a cute story!! Awesome week as always =D

    Our StS for the week =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard great things about Anna and the French Kiss, I mucst get hold of a copy.
    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good mix you got yourself this week. I don't know if I'd pick up even one of them, but I hope you enjoy! =)
    My Haul

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have to get Anna and the French Kiss. It's on my list just haven't gotten it yet. I hope you enjoy your new books!

    Mary
    http://sweepingme.com/2012/09/stacking-the-shelves-7-harperchildrens/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I really enjoyed Anna and the French Kiss and I hope you do too.

      Delete
  10. Anna and the French Kiss is one of my favorite books! I read it in a day. Hope you enjoy it too! My STS/Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS IS THE BEST THING IN THE WORLD! *ahem* You got a great haul and some interesting books!

    ~Kailia @ Reading the Best

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!