Saturday, September 1, 2012

Stacking the Shelves (5)

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews. Since I purchased some pretty good books this week, I may have to change my tbr for this month!

I got 3 books this week, 2 of which I just got today!

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their lives apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love.
 
Fall under the spell of Wake—the first book in an achingly beautiful new series by celebrated author Amanda Hocking—and lose yourself to the Watersong.

Gorgeous. Fearless. Dangerous. They're the kind of girls you envy; the kind of girls you want to hate. Strangers in town for the summer, Penn, Lexi and Thea have caught everyone's attention—but it’s Gemma who’s attracted theirs. She’s the one they’ve chosen to be part of their group.

Gemma seems to have it all—she’s carefree, pretty, and falling in love with Alex, the boy next door. He’s always been just a friend, but this summer they’ve taken their relationship to the next level, and now there’s no going back. Then one night, Gemma’s ordinary life changes forever. She’s taking a late night swim under the stars when she finds Penn, Lexi and Thea partying on the cove. They invite her to join them, and the next morning she wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing something is different.

Suddenly Gemma is stronger, faster, and more beautiful than ever. But her new powers come with a terrifying price. And as she uncovers the truth, she’s is forced to choose between staying with those she loves—or entering a new world brimming with dark hungers and unimaginable secrets.
 
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

I actually got a signed copy of The Fault in Our Stars at the store. The only thing is that it's signed upside-down! It was the only one available, so I bought it anyway. This is actually my first John Green book so I'm really excited to finally read it. That's all for me this week. What did you get this week?

67 comments:

  1. The Host is one of the best books I have ever read. You are going to enjoy it so much.

    Great haul.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the Host too, my sister leant me her copy, which has a pretty broken spine because she's read it so many times!!

    Here's My StS!
    Naomi @ Nomi’s Paranormal Palace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great haul-I still haven't read any John Green but I have been considering starting with this one. I definitely want to check out his writing as he's received such great buzz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually preferred the Host than the Twilight series. Check out the dust jacket of the Wake book..It's a poster!!
    ------
    Giselle from Book Nerd Canada
    Stacking the Shelves #18

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for telling me that! I just saw it and it's so beautiful!! :) I think that a lot of people prefer it to the Twilight series. I thought that they were okay... I much prefer the movies.

      Delete
  5. I LOVED The Host and Wake was good too. The Fault in Our Stars is way too sad for me to read :0
    My Stack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never cried during a movie or book so hopefully I won't cry while reading this!

      Delete
  6. I have The Fault in our Stars but still haven't read it, kinda felt like I was the only one ><
    Honestly I don't like Twilight but The Host was good and I hope you like Wake also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wondered about The Host, I've heard that ppl like it better than Twilight.

    And I am still yet to read TFiOS but I've heard that everyone cries so have some tissues handy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the same thing! I hope I don't cry!

      Delete
  8. I love the cover of Wake.
    Happy reading!

    Thanks for stopping by my STS =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been seeing Wake advertised around a lot recently, and it sounds interesting.

    The Host is a book I have, but don't really want to read. I keep putting it off after the disaster of Twilight for me.

    Still great haul! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :) I've heard that The Host is better than Twilight so I'm actually looking forward to reading it! Since it's going to be a movie I really want to read it.

      Delete
  10. Nice haul, hope you'll enjoy the new Stephenie Meyer. Don't know if I'll ever be picking up something by her again... Happy reading!
    My Haul

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Host is really great! I loved that book. Enjoy the books you got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you loved it! I hope I do too. :)

      Delete
  12. Great Haul! I've heard great things about The Fault in Our Stars...Its on my TBR list :)

    Happy Reading & Thanks for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I've heard great things as well. :)

      Delete
  13. I've heard gtreat things about THe Host. hope you love it.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Fault in Our Stars was my first John Green book too and I may get shot for saying this but..... I didn't really care for it! It was good, but I was really let down and I didn't care for a lot of the writing.
    Hope you enjoy it more than me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we'll find out what I think soon!

      Delete
  15. I've been wanting to read The Host, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I adore the cover for Wake, it's so pretty and I have heard lots of good things about it! Hope you enjoy your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cover for Wake is gorgeous! So shiny. I don't think I'm emotionally prepared to read the John Green book yet...
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I am prepared! I love the cover for Wake as well. The photo just does not do it justice!

      Delete
  17. Thanks for stopping by my STS! I'm obsessed with the Host, one of my faves! Amanda Hocking's new one sounds interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great haul of books, I absolutely loved The Fault In Our Stars and I really should try an Amanda Hocking book! Happy reading!

    Here's my IMM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually my first Amanda Hocking novel. (:

      Delete
  19. I love The Fault in Our Stars. It made me cry. A signature is still a signature even if it is upside down. :) I hope you enjoy it.

    My Haul!

    Becky @ A Reader’s Devotion

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Fault in Our Stars was also my first John Green book! Hope you enjoy it :) I loved that a bunch of them were signed by the author in store (I believe he signed all the first-print run ones!) Upside down is better than nothing, for sure :D

    I bought The Host after the Twilight craze but still haven't had a chance to get to it.. I hear it's actually pretty decent!

    Happy reading, and thanks for stopping by!

    Michele | Stacking the Shelves | Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the same thing. :)

      I'm glad to hear that! I'm really looking forward to reading The Host.

      Delete
  21. AHHHHH, you got like- my two favorite books ever !! The Host & The Fault in Our Stars <3
    (You got a signed copy, lucky goose.) I gave my copy away to friend who moved so I need a new one! Maybe I'll get a signed one in the future. C:

    Anywhoo, I hope you enjoy your books! I can't tell you how much I loved The Host. So much better than Twilight, imo !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I enjoy it more than Twilight. :)

      Delete
  22. The Fault in Our Stars is by far one of the best books I've ever read! I hope you love it as well. I've heard great things about Wake. Happy reading!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely books this week! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great books. I LOVE Stephanie Meyer's The Host. I have yet to read the others, but they're on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I couldn't get into Wake personally, I hope you have much better luck with it than I did. I really need to read The Fault in Our Stars, people love that one so much. Enjoy all your goodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can get into it! I hate it when I can't get into a book. I almost feel like I'm forcing myself to read it.

      Delete
  26. Good haul! I will be starting the Wake audiobook tomorrow and I read The Host a long time ago and really enjoyed it. Happy reading and thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The signature is upside down? That's kind of funny XD

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah, your first John Green book! I hope you love TFIOS, upside down signature and all! (:

    ReplyDelete
  29. Omg! TFiOS is the best book ever! I really hope you like it!

    My StS!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooooh, I LOVE The Host and TFiOS! I enjoyed the Twilight series, but didn't love it at all. But I really love The Host. I need to re-read that! And John Green is one of the coolest, most beautiful writers out there. If you haven't seen his vlogs with his brother, you should check them out! Here are the first two that I saw and I've been loving the vlogs ever since: Makeup Tutorial: Katniss Everdeen Look and Fitness for Nerds.
    And lots of copies of TFiOS were signed, but there were less common colors and also some had special things in them and I'd say yours is pretty cool since it's signed upside down! Could be a collector's item! :D

    I hope you love all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awesome mailbox :D I also have TFIOS, but haven't read it yet.. I'm scared. lol. :) But it sounds awesome. Hope you'll enjoy it all :D
    Thank you for commenting on my mailbox. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised because I didn't cry at all. Turns out I'm not a cryer! :)

      Delete
  32. I absolutely loved The Host! I can't even wait for the movie, I think I need to reread this book right now. Wake has a beautiful cover and I definitely want to read that one soon. Hope you enjoy your books this week! :)

    Thanks for stopping by. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah I forgot it's going to be a movie! I should probably get to reading it soon!

      Delete
  33. The Host is awesome! I really hope you love it, too. I'm also reading my first John Green book- Looking for Alaska. Enjoy your new books, and thank for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I bought Wake last week, and it's the first mermaid novel I've come across so I'm excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first mermaid book as well. :)

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!