Friday, September 28, 2012

Book Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: December 2, 2010
Source: Library
Edition: Paperback (372 pages)
Genre: YA Contemporary
Cover Review: I'll admit, it's kind of cheesy. I do really like the font and the Eiffel Tower though! The girl looks just like I pictured Anna.
Tag Line: Can Anna find love in the City of Light?
Main Character: Anna


Anna can't wait for her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a good job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. So she's not too thrilled when her father unexpectedly ships her off to boarding school in Paris - until she meets Etienne St. Clair, the perfect boy. The only problem? He's taken, and Anna might be, too, if anything comes of her crush back home. Will a year of romantic near-misses end in the French kiss Anna awaits?

This book was absolutely amazing. I didn't think that I would like it this much, considering that I'm not exactly the biggest contemporary fan. Maybe it was because of the setting or St. Clair, I'm not sure. It was just so fun to read! It takes place in France and America. We follow Anna as she is forced to go to an American School in Paris. She doesn't know anyone, although she ends up becoming friends with her next door neighbor. Her next door neighbor has this huge crush on this guy named Etienne St. Clair. Within the first 50 pages, Anna runs into him and she just can't control herself. She can't even speak regularly to the guy! As the story progresses, Anna and St. Clair become best friends. Is it okay for best friends to fall for each other?

I absolutely loved the characters. My favorite character being, of course, Etienne St. Clair. The guy is British! He is so sweet and I feel like he doesn't even know that just about the whole school is crushing on him. I also really like how he wasn't even mean to Anna. Usually, when a new kid turns up at school, everyone kind of ignores him/her or they are rude to the new person. St. Clair was acting like they've been friends for a while even though they just met! Anna was very relatable. She was going through every day drama, just in France instead of America.

If you haven't read this book, I deeply suggest that you do. It's full of romance and every day life... and St. Clair!
Rating:

Recommended for fans of:
Sarah Dessen
Europe (Specifically Paris, France!)
Britain
Relatable Characters

10 comments:

  1. I like how you add at the end that it is recommended for fans of... good review = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I recently decided to add recommendations onto my reviews.

      Delete
  2. I wasn't big on contemporary either before reading this, but I kept seeing stellar reviews of this book, so I gave it a try. I'm glad that I did because I loved it, too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was the opposite. I wasn't a contemporary reader and everyone recommended it. I read it and was very annoyed. Quit reading contemporary. Then I read the companion, Lola and the Boy Next Door and I really loved that one and have since read quite a bit of contemporary. It was cute but Anna and St. Claire's back and forth drama drove me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'm going to have to read Lola and the Boy Next Door. I may even love it more. :D

      Delete
  4. I need to read this book. Paris, a hot cute guy, he's British!..nuff said..right? I'm glad you enjoyed this book and recommend it! Can't wait to read it. Great review.

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And you really should pick it up sometime.

      Delete
  5. I loved this books so much!!! Glad you liked it too!!! Happy Reading!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!