Monday, August 20, 2012

Dystopian Book Recommendations

Since I absolutely LOVE Dystopians, I thought I'd share with you some of my favorite dystopian series. I tried to recommend some that I haven't seen around all that much.

First of all, you need to read both Divergent by Veronica Roth and Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I've seen this around everywhere, and they are absolutely amazing futuristic societies. I also suggest Matched by Ally Condie, Wither by Lauren DeStefano, and The Maze Runner by James Dashner.

Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky


Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life—until she meets Justin. Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.

Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her—a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.

In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.

Darkness Before Dawn by J.A. London
Only sunlight can save us.

We built the wall to keep them out, to keep us safe. But it also makes us prisoners, trapped in what's left of our ravaged city, fearing nightfall.

After the death of my parents, it's up to me--as the newest delegate for humanity--to bargain with our vampire overlord. I thought I was ready. I thought I knew everything there was to know about the monsters. Then again, nothing could have prepared me for Lord Valentine . . . or his son. Maybe not all vampires are killers. Maybe it's safe to let one in.

Only one thing is certain: Even the wall is not enough. A war is coming and we cannot hide forever.


Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Miranda’s disbelief turns to fear in a split second when a meteor knocks the moon closer to the earth. How should her family prepare for the future when worldwide tsunamis wipe out the coasts, earthquakes rock the continents, and volcanic ash blocks out the sun? As summer turns to Arctic winter, Miranda, her two brothers, and their mother retreat to the unexpected safe haven of their sunroom, where they subsist on stockpiled food and limited water in the warmth of a wood-burning stove.

Told in journal entries, this is the heart-pounding story of Miranda’s struggle to hold on to the most important resource of all--hope--in an increasingly desperate and unfamiliar world.

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Everybody gets to be supermodel gorgeous. What could be wrong with that? Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license -- for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really great time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there. But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

This is more of a Sci-Fi, but it is still really good.

Turnabout by Margaret Peterson Haddix

"The suspense is unflagging....Recommend this one to fans of Michael Crichton and Robin Cook" (School Library Journal). In the year 2000 Melly and Anny Beth had reached the peak of old age and were ready to die. But when offered the chance to be young again by participating in a top-secret experiment called Project Turnabout, they agreed. Miraculously, the experiment worked--Melly and Anny Beth were actually growing younger every year. But when they learned that the final treatment would be deadly, they ran for their lives.

     Now it is 2085. Melly and Anny Beth are teenagers. They have no idea what will happen when they hit age zero, but they do know they will soon be too young to take care of themselves. They need to find someone to help them before time runs out, once and for all....

I hope you liked my recommendations! I really enjoyed making this post, so I think I'm going to have to do a week of recommendations sometime soon!

Do you have any dystopian recmomendations?

11 comments:

  1. I really need to get to The Uglies series! Great list, the Darkness Before Dawn cover really reminds me of The Fallen series covers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read Darkness Before Dawn forever! And I really need to get to the Uglies series too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any by Scott Westerfield, but I really want to. Darkness Before Dawn is one I really want to read also and I agree the cover look like the Fallen series. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of those five I've only read Uglies, but all the others sound great too! I want to read them all now, thanks for recommending them!

    Omg, I have read SO many amazing dystopians, I wouldn't know where to start with recommendations! Hmm, just a few off the top of my head...

    Unwind by Neal Shusterman
    Starters by Lissa Price
    Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
    Slated by Teri Terry

    They're all amazing so check them out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to read Awaken for a while! Ugh, I haven't read ANY of these. I really need to catch up! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I can't wait to read Awaken and Life As We Knew It. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have actually downloaded some samples by Margaret Peterson Haddix, but they are based on fairy tales. I haven't actually read them yet, but I'm curious how her writing will be.
    I had also downloaded a sample of Darkness Before Dawn. I'm still waffling about it, though.
    Awaken sounds like a really interesting concept. Most days I would love to stay home and not have to interact, but I guess from time to time I would want to break out.
    Thanks for the suggestions!
    New follower.
    Tammy @ http://bosbooknook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Krystianna,
    I've read "Uglies", and I liked it very much. The other books sound good as well.
    I also would like to read "Mothership" by Martin Leicht and "Black City" by Elizabeth Richards; the blurbs are intriguing, and I love the covers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVED the Uglies trilogy and Turnabout. Also really enjoyed Running Out Of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix, so you might want to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only read the Uglies out of the 5 but the others look really good! Thanks for the recs :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't why but every time I pick up the uglies series, I read like 5 pages and than stop--for no apparent reason. I shall finally sit down and read it whole once my TBR pile has shrunk! Thanks for the great recs, Krystianna!


    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!