Thursday, August 30, 2012

Book Review: This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

Title: This is Not a Test
Author: Courtney Summers
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: June 19, 2012
Edition: Paperback (323 pages)
Cover Review: I like the cover. It's creepy, just like the story itself.
Main Character: Sloane Price

It’s the end of the world. Six students have taken cover in Cortege High but shelter is little comfort when the dead outside won’t stop pounding on the doors. One bite is all it takes to kill a person and bring them back as a monstrous version of their former self. To Sloane Price, that doesn’t sound so bad. Six months ago, her world collapsed and since then, she’s failed to find a reason to keep going. Now seems like the perfect time to give up. As Sloane eagerly waits for the barricades to fall, she’s forced to witness the apocalypse through the eyes of five people who actually want to live. But as the days crawl by, the motivations for survival change in startling ways and soon the group’s fate is determined less and less by what’s happening outside and more and more by the unpredictable and violent bids for life—and death—inside. When everything is gone, what do you hold on to?

In this novel, we follow Sloane as she tries to survive in an apocalyptic world. One day while she's home with her father, there's a banging on the door. Then, someone comes through the glass window and tries to attack both she and her father. Sloane doesn't know what is going on.

7 days later, Sloane has found herself some people to stay with. She and her group stay in the highschool. The original meet-up place for emergencies is the community center, but that place was already sabotaged.

Even though she is in a world filled with "zombies", all that Sloane can think about is her sister who left her when she said that she never would. You see, Sloane's father usually beats on both she and her sister. Once her sister was old enough, she said she couldn't take it anymore and she left without anyone knowing. Or so Sloane thought.

Let's talk about some of the people that Sloane had to spend weeks with while trapped in a highschool.

Harrison-I just had to talk about Harrison first. He bothered me through the whole novel. He's like 15 and he cries. All. The. Time. If something goes wrong, he cries and whimpers. He doesn't seem to talk much either. If I knew someone like that in real life, I don't know what I'd do.

Grace-Grace and Sloane used to be friends. They had a sleepover. Once. Grace has a twin brother named Trace. She seemed really nice.

Trace-This is another character that got on my nerves. He just wouldn't let things go. In an apocalyptic world with zombies, he's bound to not last very long if he won't let things go. He believes that one of the other kids in the highschool, Cary, killed his parents. Sure he did.

Rhys-Rhys was one of the only characters I enjoyed. He was sweet and put up with Sloane, which I think would be quite a hard thing to do. Sloane had many issues, which I'll get into later. Rhys was always there for Sloane when she needed someone to talk to. Same with if she didn't.

Sloane-Sloane started out in the novel as a girl who wanted to kill herself, but it turned out to be much more than that. I found her a little annoying at times. Why would you kill yourself? Other than that, I thought she was a great character.

Cary-I guess that in school Cary never did much. Now that zombies attack the world, he seems to know exactly what to do. He is pretty much the leader of the pack. Cary has excellent survival skills and he did everything for the sake of all the people he was helping. I felt bad for him. He had a huge crush on Sloane's sister, but they hadn't talked since she left either.

This novel kept me up at night. I just couldn't stop thinking about it after I read it. I guess it's really thought-provoking! It's full of chaos and adventure. I kept wondering if they were even going to survive. It was an excellent read and I really suggest that you check it out!

Rating:

18 comments:

  1. Great review. I don't know if I want to read it though. It does sound pretty good, but something isn't quite clicking for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't so sure about reading it, but I'm glad that I did. I totally understand where you are coming from though!

      Delete
  2. Great review. I've read this book and like you I found it really thought provoking. I liked that many of the characters were unpleasant and selfish. Rather realistic in a every man for himself zombie apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't use to be into zombie books, but ever since getting into the Walking Dead series, I totally am. Thanks for the review! It's on my list! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! This was actually my first zombie book. I can't wait to read more. >:)

      Delete
  4. I think the cover looks more weird than creepy. I can't help staring at it and wonder what the girl is doing on the cover everytime I see it. Anyhow, for a book with a couple of annoying characters, I'm glad it still turned out to be good. I'm very sensitive to annoying characters and usually, when they annoy me too much, I just abandon the book. I've never read a zombie book, so thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, Krystianna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this one too. It's not your average zombie book and you're right, that it made you think. Oh dear I disliked Harrison so much too. I just wanted to smack him, but then he'd probably cry in a corner.. Oops! I wish there was more back story too. It was just bits and pieces here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wanted to smack him as well! I agree-he'd probably cry in a corner! >:)

      I felt like it kind of needed more of a backstory as well. I feel like the only info that we got was the many of the tidbits about Lily and Sloane.

      Delete
  6. I've picked this one up a while back and have been meaning to read it. I'm curious to find more out about it. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the concept of zombies, but I hate it when characters get on your nerves!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree this was a very good book with a lot to think about-I appreciated that it was very character-driven even if some of the characters got on my nerves too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the characters got on everyone's nerves... especially Harrison!

      Delete
  9. I love creepy survival novels :D. I think the cover is pretty awesome too.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!