Monday, August 27, 2012

Book Review: Struck by Jennifer Bosworth

Title: Struck
Author: Jennifer Bosworth
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux BYR
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Edition: Hardcover (373 pages)
Cover Review: I like the cover. It explains the story. I really like the back of the cover as well ( I don't have a picture of it, sorry!).
Series: Struck, book 1
Main Character: Mia Price

"Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything."

The other day I was sitting at home and all the sudden I started thinking about this book. I don't even know why. I just thought, "I must buy Struck." I am glad that I did.

We follow Mia Price, a lightning addict. A while ago, a huge earthquake sabotaged most of L.A. Many people died and many buildings were crushed down. Mia's mother was actually a survivor. Mia's mom has been crazy ever since the earthquake. She doesn't talk much and she hides in her room, spending her days watching Prophet on T.V. Prophet is this guy who can predict the future, or so he tells everyone. Prophet predicted that this earthquake was going to come right before it actually happened. He now tells everyone that a huge storm is going to come. He says that if you choose to be one of his followers, God will save you. If you don't follow him, you will be among the dead. How nice, right? Prophet has orphaned children which he calls his "12 Apostles". The strange thing is that there only seems to be eleven. Where is the twelfth?

One day at school, Mia finds that there is a group who is trying to stop others from joining the Followers. Who are these people?

There's also this guy named Jeremy. Whenever Mia touches him, she falls into this dream-like trance. Usually, Mia ends up asleep for a few hours afterwards. Jeremy is usually gone when she wakes up.
Throughout the novel, we follow Mia as she falls in love and tries to figure out which side she is really on.

I LOVED this novel! I'm so glad that it is part of a series. I was seriously flipping through the pages, wondering what was going to happen next. Where is Prophet's twelfth Apostle? What's up with Mia's mom? Her brother? Jeremy? The group that everyone seems to be trying to make her join? Seriously, I had even more questions than that going through my brain. I just wished that we could find out a little more about Mia's history. I wish that we knew how she became a lightning addict. I really liked the whole lightning addict thing. I learned quite a lot about lightning! I love finding out more about things that I don't know. It was definitely fast-paced and there were so many twists and turns. I finished this novel in a day... that's how good it was. It's definitely a favorite of 2012 and I am eagerly awaiting the sequel. I highly suggest that you read this novel!


Rating:



Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Photo and summary found on Goodreads.

8 comments:

  1. I love your story of how you just had to buy this book :) I also loved learning about her lightning addiction-it's something I knew basically nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. (: I wonder if lightning addiction is actually a real thing. I couldn't possibly imagine being a lightning addict!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, lightning. I cannot get enough of it. I'm so glad this book is sitting on my shelf. I look very forward to reading it.

    New follower via GFC. Thanks for stopping by. :)

    http://abookishco-op.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thank you. :) I highly recommend reading it!

      Delete
  3. I've been wondering if I should read this, and you just convinced me. Kind of reminds me of Meg Cabot's 1-800 series where she's struck by lightning and can find missing kids. Great review! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not similar at all to that, but 1-800-Where-R-U is awesome!

      Delete
  4. Oh it sounds nice, I didn't really look at this book but it sounds like I should have. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Struck isn't part of a series I don't think. If you got the series info from GR, it shows up that way because there's a prequel. :/

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!