Thursday, August 16, 2012

Book Review: Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly


Title: Revolution
Author: Jennifer Donnelly
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Release Date: October 12, 2010
Edition: Paperback (496)
Cover Review: I like this cover more than the hardcover one. I especially like how Andi is holding the key that she always wears around her neck.
Main Character(s): Andi Alpers and Alexandrine Paradis

"BROOKLYN: Andi Alpers is on the edge. She’s angry at her father for leaving, angry at her mother for not being able to cope, and heartbroken by the loss of her younger brother, Truman. Rage and grief are destroying her. And she’s about to be expelled from Brooklyn Heights’ most prestigious private school when her father intervenes. Now Andi must accompany him to Paris for winter break.

PARIS: Alexandrine Paradis lived over two centuries ago. She dreamed of making her mark on the Paris stage, but a fateful encounter with a doomed prince of France cast her in a tragic role she didn’t want—and couldn’t escape.

Two girls, two centuries apart. One never knowing the other. But when Andi finds Alexandrine’s diary, she recognizes something in her words and is moved to the point of obsession. There’s comfort and distraction for Andi in the journal’s antique pages—until, on a midnight journey through the catacombs of Paris, Alexandrine’s words transcend paper and time, and the past becomes suddenly, terrifyingly present.

Jennifer Donnelly, author of the award-winning novel A Northern Light, artfully weaves two girls’ stories into one unforgettable account of life, loss, and enduring love. Revolution spans centuries and vividly depicts the eternal struggles of the human heart."

In Revolution, we follow Andi whose family is pretty much destroyed. A while ago, her brother Truman was hit by a car on the road and ever since then her mother is in a trance-like state. Since her mom is an artist, she constantly paints portraits of Truman. They're everywhere.

Her father left the family while Truman was still alive. While their parents were fighting, Truman overheard his father saying that he wants the key to life, the key to the universe. Truman later found a key that he said was the key to the universe. He found it for his father... but he still left.

When Truman died, he had the key in his pocket. Ever since, Andi has worn it as a necklace around her neck. She never takes it off.

Andi is very musically inclined. She can play the guitar really well. She doesn't usually do her school work. She would rather be going to her special music classes after school. In order to graduate, she must write an essay. The only problem is she still hasn't started.

To make Andi write her paper, her father has her take a trip to Paris with him. In Paris, he is working on a heart which he believes to be the Lost King's.

Andi really doesn't want to go to Paris because she and her father don't do much together. She is forced to go anyway, and her father sends her mother to a hospital... without her paints. While in Paris, Andi is given a guitar. Andi finds a photo of the Lost King along with a diary in a hidden compartment of the guitar case. She starts reading it and she can't believe what Alexandrine is going through.

Alexandrine was the Lost King's personal helper. She would stay at the castle just to keep the little prince happy. He was always sad and she was the only one who could fix that. We follow Alexandrine as she tries to keep the Lost King happy. It's what she lives for... seriously.

As the novel goes on, Andi and Alexandrine's lives begin to intertwine.

This novel was really good! I especially loved the parts where Andi was reading Alexandrine's diary. That was mostly why I kept reading it: I wanted to know what was going to happen to Alexandrine. I definitely couldn't put this novel down. It kept me wanting more. When I wasn't reading about this novel, I was thinking about it, dreaming about it. Seriously, I did have a dream about it.

I really enjoyed learning more about the Lost King. It makes me wonder if the Green Man was real and if Alexandrine was real. Maybe I'll do some research. I'm really interested in the whole Kings and Queens thing. I was really surprised when I read the novel and found that it was about just that. I think that's why I like historicals a lot: you always get something out of the reading. Not just lessons, but you actually come out of the reading smarter than you were when you started it.

I definitely recommend this for fans of settings in Europe and historical fiction. It was definitely a book that I'd read again.



 Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!


6 comments:

  1. I remember seeing the cover before, but I didn't know much about the book. It does sound like a good read. Great review of it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was blown away by this book-it was so beyond what I was expecting and completely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Revolution! I've been wanting to read this book for awhile-I actually liked the hardcover version better, though this one looks different in an awesome way. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been on my wish list for what feels like forever, it sounds really good. Thanks for sharing your review!

    Sandy
    Scribing Shadows

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is on my wishlist, the reviews are always great. Thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Freaking loved this book! It stays with you and makes you think. Brilliant writing

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!