Sunday, August 19, 2012

Book Review: Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

This is the last book in a trilogy. Because of this, it will most likely contain spoilers for books one and two.
This review may possibly contain spoilers for Mockingjay.

Title: Mockingjay
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: August 24, 2010
Edition: Hardcover (390 pages)
Cover Review: I really like this cover. I love the blue and I also like how the cover has a mockingjay on it!
Series: The Hunger Games, book 3
Main Character: Katniss Everdeen

My name is Katniss Everdeen. Why am I not dead? I should be dead.

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plains--except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay--no matter what the personal cost.

After escaping from their fate in the previous novel, Katniss is on her way to district 13 while Peeta is stuck in the capitol with President Snow. Yes, you heard me right. Katniss must try to lead a rebellion which she started in the first novel. She is told that she must be the Mockingjay. She struggles to become the Mockingjay as Peeta is used as a weapon against her.

Mockingjay was pretty good. It wasn't as fast-paced as the first two novels, but it was still fast-paced. I was a little frustrated with who ended up dying, but then again, it is a war, so people are bound to die. I couldn't put this book down because I just needed to know how it all ended. Who is Katniss going to end up with? Is she even going to live? Is President Snow going to get his revenge? In the end, I was happy with the outcome. I was happy with who she ended up with as well.
This is definitely my favorite series. If you haven't checked this series out, you really should. It's quite the ride and you just read the whole trilogy so fast. They are un-put-downable.






Rating:

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. I agree. I don't think I liked this one as much because the Hunger Games theme just wasn't there. And the end? My golly gosh, it was horrible!! Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only agree. Although I was rooting for Gale in the beginning, I grew away from him just like Katniss did, probably for the same reasons. What they did to Peeta in the capitol... it was the cruelest thing, don't you agree? It rattled me much, but I thought it fit awefully well into the whole story. I loved how this played out, and I sort of morned those who died. It was an awesome trilogy, all in all, and I can't wait for the other two movies. It's just so awesome to see it in picture and color and motion. *_*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am a new follower, I loved this book! I'd love a follow back at http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, this one was definitely a change of pace compared to the first two. I enjoyed it, but it was sad (of course, it was a war...so I should have expected it). Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ending to a really good series! I can't wait until all the movies are out to see this played on the big screen.

    Grace Crawford Ron Fay's Moose Creek Lodge Fishing Trips Alaska

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!