Monday, August 13, 2012

Book Review: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Title: Article 5
Author: Kristen Simmons
Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: January 31, 2012
Edition: Hardcover (362 pages)
Cover Review: The cover is okay. I do like the background though. Up closely, the city looks really amazing. I love destroyed cities on dystopian covers!
Series: Article 5, Book 1
Main Character: Ember Miller


New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.
 
Ever since I saw this last year on Barnes & Noble, I knew I just had to read it. The cover is gorgeous. The synopsis is intriguing. Plus, I loved the title. Everything drew me in. I just knew I had to love it.

In this novel we follow Ember Miller. She was born while her parents weren't married-which is a violation against Article 5. One day while at the house with her mother and friends, soldiers come and knock on the door. One of the soldiers happens to be someone she recognizes. It's Chase Jennings, her old friend that lived next door. The thing is they weren't just friends, they were more than that. Ember and her mother are both taken away. Chase doesn't even try to stop it.

Ember is taken to a place for orphaned girls. Someone is always watching so she believes there is no way to escape. With the help of her room mate's boyfriend, she attempts an escape. She doesn't make it.

Later on, Chase comes and says that Ember is needed for her trial. This doesn't make any sense, as most of the orphans at this mysterious place never get trials anymore. Once Ember is safe, she finds that Chase is actually risking his life and is taking her to a safe place down south. She is told that her mother is going to be there.

The rest of the novel is all part of her epic journey to safety.

This novel was really good. It was full of adventure, which I love in a great dystopian novel. I really liked the romance as well. I enjoyed how it wasn't exactly a case of insta-love. Chase & Ember fought a lot and Ember even tried to escape from him once. Of course, she made it out only to run into this psycho who thought that Ember was her daughter.

I like how we did learn about why the world is the way that it is. Sometimes dystopians don't exactly explain that. I felt like Ember was quite a rebel. She didn't exactly like to do everything she was told. That makes for a great dystopian novel protagonist. I'm guessing that there is going to be an uprising or something in the next novel and that Ember & Chase will be the cause of it.

I did find myself bored at times. I kind of felt like the whole time they were just running away from being caught. Even so, I'm definitely looking forward to reading Breaking Point (the sequel) which comes out on February 5, 2013. I'm excited to see what Chase & Ember stumble upon next. I'd definitely recommend this for fans of adventurous dystopians.



8 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting! I'm glad it avoided the whole insta-love thing. :) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thr synopsis does sound really good and the idea of what our nation is founded upon starts to crumble (reminds me of the Red Scare). What if the biggest powerhouse Democratic nation was to fall to this? It would be a disaster. With such an intense synopsis you would think that the book would be action packed all the way so that you wouldn't get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything that has a good adventure and doesn't have insta-love is a must. Putting this on my Wishlist! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a huge reader of dystopians but this one has always been in the back of my mind to read. I've wanted to know what law her mother broke or article I guess and I wanted to know what the boy she used to know was going to do about it! So it sounds like I might want to read it. I'm great at skimming through the unnecessary parts so I'm not too worried about the boring parts. But let's hope the author has pumped up the second novel.

    I like your blog! I'm adding you to my reader.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated all the parts where they were on the run and I thought the characterization wasn't as strong as it could have been. I'm interested to hear about what happens next though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, hun! This is a book I've wanted to read since the beginning of the year but I just kept forgetting about it plus it seems to have a few little flaws!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked this book! I agree about no Insta-Love.. YAY! the journey was a little tiring, but I have a feeling it is leading up to a great end of the series!

    -Taylor at WeNeedReads

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been considering getting this one for a while now, and your review and others may have convinced me, it sounds interesting.

    Cath Brookes (Seward Fishing)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!