Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Review: Watch Me by Lauren Barnholdt

*Note* This was originally published as Reality Chick.


Title: Watch Me
Author: Lauren Barnholdt
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release Date: June 20, 2006
Edition: Paperback (304 pages)
Cover Review: I don't like the cover much. All I see is feet.
Main Character: Ally Cavanaugh



"She thinks she has nothing to hide…

Ally has everything under control. She’s about to move into a house full of strangers and have her life broadcast to the world, but as long as she still has her long-distance boyfriend, Corey, nothing can go wrong. Nothing, that is, until Ally starts spending time with her housemate Drew, the hot and sensitive guy who always seems to be around when she needs someone the most.

As suspicions and lies start pulling Ally and Corey apart, she’s not sure if she can trust anyone, not even herself. Ally is about to learn the hard way that life is what happens when everyone is looking, and it doesn’t always capture her good side…."


Story: Ally is about to start college soon, and she finds that one the most popular shows, In the House, is going to be shooting a season at the college she is going to attend. Because of this, she decides to audition. After her audition, Ally doesn't think that she did well enough to make it on the show... she was wrong. She made it and she is really excited.


When she starts college, she meets all the other people in her house. There are four others-Simone, Drew, James, and Jasmine.


While going through all of this, her long-time boyfriend, Corey, is at another college in Florida. They barely see each other and don't talk much. One day while looking online, Ally sees a comment saying that Corey likes someone else. This really frustrates her. While the story goes on, Ally keeps seeing more and more of Drew, and less of Corey.


Everything really comes out once Corey comes to visit Ally over break.


Characters: Ally was my favorite character. I felt like she was the only normal-ish one. She was having boy troubles and she didn't know what to do.


Corey annoyed me a little. I felt like he did like someone else, he just didn't want to tell Ally. Plus, since hanging out in Florida, he started acting WAY different.


Drew was nice. He was a great best friend to Ally. If Ally seemed mad or angry, he knew to give her space. He also knew when she needed help and he was always there for her, even whey Corey wasn't. He also helped Ally with her photography class.


Jasmine seemed to be way different than she really was. It's like she put on a show for others, but deep down, she was really sweet and had the potential to be an amazing best friend.


Simone was okay. She fell hard for James, only to find that he was a player all along. We never saw much of James throughout the story, but when he was there, he really bothered me.


All in All: I thought that this was a great book. I loved how it was pretty much a T.V. show in book form. I also liked how it kind of sends the message that everything you see on T.V. isn't always true. I would suggest it if you are looking for a light contemporary read for summer. I'm definitely going to try to get Lauren Barnholdt's other novels.


Rating: 3.5/5 Lightning Bolts


Have you read this book? I'd love to hear what you thought!


Photo, summary, and info at the top were all found on Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. I'm hesitant to pick this up mainly because of my dislike for most reality shows but it would be interesting to read a book in t.v. form, I don't think I've read anything like this before. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this before, but the whole tv-in-book-form is really intriguing! The characters seem to have a lot of issues you can relate to, particularly Ally. And I definitely want to add more contemporaries to my bookshelves, so I'll have to keep my eye out for this one! Thanks for putting it on my radar. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope that you like it if you do read it. :)

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!