Saturday, July 21, 2012

Book Review: The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls by Julie Schumacher

Title: The Unbearable Book Club for Unsinkable Girls
Author: Julie Schumacher
Publisher: Random House Children's Books
Release Date: May 8, 2012
Edition: ARC
Cover Review: I'm not the biggest fan of the cover. It looks too normal and simple.
Main Character: Adrienne Haus



"I'm Adrienne Haus, survivor of a mother-daughter book club. Most of us didn't want to join. My mother signed me up because I was stuck at home all summer, with my knee in a brace. CeeCee's parents forced her to join after cancelling her Paris trip because she bashed up their car. The members of "The Unbearable Book Club," CeeCee, Jill, Wallis, and I, were all going into eleventh grade A.P. English. But we weren't friends. We were literary prisoners, sweating, reading classics, and hanging out at the pool. If you want to find out how membership in a book club can end up with a person being dead, you can probably look us up under mother-daughter literary catastrophe. Or open this book and read my essay, which I'll turn in when I go back to school."

Story: This book was about Adrienne, whose mother organized a summer book club. This book club was only organized because Adrienne ended up with her knee in a brace. She was supposed to be spending the summer with her friend. Instead, her friend went without her. In the book club, there are 4 girls and 4 mothers. CeeCee is the popular girl in school, and Adrienne is quite surprised that she will even talk to her. Jill is always working, usually at the pool, to try to earn herself some money. Wallis is kind of lonely, and she joined the book club because it seemed "fun". Throughout the summer, they must all read many books. They also do some things that they probably shouldn't. Adrienne ends up sneaking out of the house by jumping out of a window in the middle of the night. She goes to the golf course after hours with CeeCee. They also end up going to the pool, and some bad things happen there as well.

Characters: Adrienne was my favorite character since I could relate to her in many ways. I've broken my ankle over the summer, so I definitely know what it feels like to not be able to do much besides sit around.
The only thing I didn't like was that she didn't seem to stand up for herself much. If CeeCee told her to do something, she usually did it without complaining. Who in their right mind would jump out of a window, nonetheless if you have a brace?

CeeCee was kind of annoying. I felt like she kind of did whatever she pleased and didn't even care if what she was doing was wrong. I did enjoy how we did actually see the real CeeCee at times, instead of the show that she puts on for others.

Jill was relatable as well. She always had her face in a book and was working non stop. She seemed like the kind of person who would get great grades in school.

Wallis was kind of a nerd. We never knew much about her until the very end. She didn't like to share much of her life with others. I can see why now.

All in All: I would definitely say that this is a great summer read. It was a very easy read and it was kind of enjoyable. The characters were fun since they all had very different personalities.

Rating: 3/5 Lightning Bolts

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Photo, info at top, and summary all found on
Goodreads.

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I just broke my foot, so I def share in the pain. Plus its so hot!
    Thanks for review, sounds interesting,
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like quite a coincidence!

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!