Friday, July 13, 2012

Book Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass



photo found on Goodreads
 Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Edition: Hardcover (327 pages)
Cover Review: I love the cover! The dress is amazing, especially the blue color...
Series: The Selection (bk. 1)
Main Character: America Singer



"For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined."
Story line: The story line of this novel was quite unique. This novel is about 35 girls chosen out of a lottery who get to go and compete for the chance of being the new princess. This is all broadcasted on live T.V.


Our protagonist is America Singer, who is in caste 5 in the caste system (another thing I loved about this novel-the caste systems!). America is in the artist caste system, and her talent is singing. Her boyfriend, Aspen, is in a caste below her. He is sort of like a maid, and he has to help people for a living. Aspen and America have been secretly dating for a while. One night, Aspen tells her that he is enlisting to join the army. He tells America that she has to try out to compete for the prize of being a princess. Aspen believes that if America spends her life with him, he will not be giving her the best life possible. For one, she will be going down in the caste system. America goes along with the idea (even though she really doesn't want to) and ends up being one of the 2 fives to be chosen. She ends up becoming friends with Maxon, even though she didn't expect to.


Characters: Of course, my favorite character is Prince Maxon. He is always so sweet and innocent. I think he and America are perfect for each other. America was a great character as well. She really grew throughout the novel. Aspen on the other hand, was the one character I disliked. (SPOILER) I felt like he kind of broke up with America, and then when she and Prince Maxon begun to kind of "get together", he barged right in and took his girl back. (SPOILER DONE)


All in All: This is definitely one of my favorite books of 2012 so far. It was fantastic, and I plan on reading it a few more times this year. I hope the series continues, because I really want to have a sequel now! *I also heard that CW picked up the rights to this novel as a T.V. show, and I really hope that happens as well! I love the CW book-to-TV adaptations (like the Vampire Diaries!).*


Rating: 5+/5 Lightning Bolts definitely.

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear what you think!

 
Summary, photo, and info at top were all found at Goodreads.

26 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty good I've been avoiding it because of all the mixed reviews but I'm definitely curious and you make it sounds really awesome!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved it. You should give it a try!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this book as well but I really disliked Aspen. And I don't really like that there's a love triangle going on mainly because I really want Prince Maxon to be with her and I feel like Aspen is getting in the way lol. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I'm so glad you liked this one Krystianna, I really enjoyed it as well:) I was a bit disappointed in Aspen as well, but I'm curious to see where things go in the next book now that she's coming to like Maxon a bit. Glad to find a fellow re-reader, I never tire of reading my favorite books again and again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to find someone else that really liked it too! I'm glad that she's finally liking Maxon. I went through the whole book just waiting! I love re-reading books. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Krystianna! So nice to meet you! Looks like you are getting your feet under you. Hope you are having fun! Holler if you need help! This is a book I have debated numerous times over. It seems to be an either love it or hate it book. After all the controversy I decided to steer clear of this one. That being said, I am glad you enjoyed it, sounds like,it was an entertaining and different read, Nice review, I like your style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I understand why you would steer clear. I've done that a few times as well when it comes to mixed reviews.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed the caste systems as well. I thought it was interesting how certain jobs feel within certain caste.

    I also was upset that Aspen just barged right in their again. I felt like this was childish. It seemed as soon as American started liking someone else he wanted her back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously found the caste system so unique.

      It was really childish of Aspen! It's like he was just jealous or something.

      Delete
  6. I want to read this book so bad!! It's on my list, but I really can't buy any new books right now as I have too many stacked up to read from BEA and other stuff! Great review, only makes me want to read it more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait until you get around to reading it! It was seriously worth it.

      I have a huge to be read pile as well... I really need to get going!

      Delete
  7. Hi Krystianna! I read so many mixed reviews on this book so I'm kind of confused right now LOL! But I'm really glad that you love this book very much! <3 Prince Maxon seems very lovely, I'm eager to meet him! He's a prince so that must be a plus point for him, right? ;)

    Amazing review, Krystianna! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being a prince is definitely a plus!

      You should really read it, it's currently my favorite read of 2012.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I still haven't decided whether I want to read this book or not, but your review certainly pulls me toward yes. The concept is very interesting, and the characters (Prince Maxon especially) sound amazing.
    Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)

      You should really read this book... it was definitely worth it.

      Delete
  9. Your spoiler about Aspen is right on-I had the exact same thoughts and that is why I am also Team Maxon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Team Maxon rocks :) I seriously can't wait for the next book!

      Delete
  10. I have been DYING to read this, and now I know I have to go a get a copy ASAP! You're right - the cover is gorgeous <3 and the caste system sounds interesting! Can't wait to find out what that's about!

    Great review :)

    Catherine x
    The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks so much. :)

      Delete
  11. Excellent review. This book looks and sounds great x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! This is my favorite of the year so far. :)

      Delete
  12. Are you excited about the tv show? I'm psyched and love that they're picking it up! can't waiitt!

    -s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait! I hope it's awesome. :)

      Delete
  13. Prince Maxon is my favourite character as well. :) Great review!

    Becky @ A Reader’s Devotion

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this one, and I thought it was okay. I did enjoy the other books in America's story arc a lot better than this one. I just think a lot of why I didn't like it was Aspen. He irked me at so many moments in the book.

    I am excited that it's going to be a movie. I can't wait to see all those gorgeous dresses on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!