Saturday, July 14, 2012

Book Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Title: Paranormalcy
Author: Kiersten White
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: August 31, 2010
Edition: Hardcover (335 pages)
Cover Review: It's nothing much. Most paranormal books have girls with dresses blowing in the wind.
Series: Paranormalcy, book 1
Main Character: Evie



"Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

So much for normal."
This review may contain accidental spoilers.

Story: This novel was about a young girl named Evie, who works for IPCA. She is in charge of getting paranormals to bring back to IPCA. Evie considers herself to not be paranormal, even though she can see through the glamours of all paranormals... even shapeshifters.

In the beginning of the book, there is a break in. Evie captures the person and is told not to see him at all. We find that the person who broke in can mysteriously change form. Of course, Evie, since she is quite curious, decides that she needs to keep visiting him and get some answers. Evie and Lend (which we find his name is) hang out more and more and end up falling for each other.

While this is going on, there have been mass killings of paranormals. The only problem: there have been no evidence as to what could of caused it. No fingerprints or marks on the bodies whatsoever.

Evie's old boyfriend, Reth, who happens to be a faerie, keeps coming back and telling her that she is going to want it. We later find that he is talking about souls.

Towards the end of the book, after all the mass killings, IPCA goes into lockdown mode. While under lockdown mode, IPCA is broken into and Evie finds the mass murderer.

During the second break in, Evie lets Lend out of his prison cell. Evie and Lend escape to Lend's house.

While Evie is at Lend's house, she has many dreams of the mass murderer. She finds that her name is Vivian, and they are just like each other.

*I won't give away any more because I don't want to give away the ending!*

Characters: I absolutely adored Evie. She is one of the funniest characters ever. I really liked how she liked to rebel against the rules. She was told not to travel without permission with faeries, and she does anyway. She was also told not to see the prisoner, but instead she ends up being more than friends with him.

 Lend was also a great character. He was very mysterious, and I like that in a good character. He didn't like to give away anything about himself. We didn't know much about him until the end. I found that most of my questions were answered.

 Vivian was a great "villain." She tryed to persuade Evie that they were meant to be friends, when all along the prophecy didn't say anything like that.

I didn't like Reth for most of the book, until the ending. I noticed that he was really on Evie's side all along. He was trying to help her, when Evie thought that he was trying to hurt her.

All in All: I really liked this book. The characters were probably my favorite part! This was definitely an easy read. I can't wait to read the next book in this series, Supernaturally. Endlessly, the third book in this series, comes out later this month.
I would definitely recommend this book for someone who enjoys funny characters and paranormal novels.

Rating: 5/5 Lightning Bolts

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Photo, info at top, and summary were all found on
Goodreads.

11 comments:

  1. I read this last summer and like you I enjoyed the characters especially Lend. He was so unique. I need to continue with the series especially since the third book is coming out in a couple of weeks. This is definitely a fun little series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read more. I'm really going to have to pick up Supernaturally and Endlessly. I'm glad that I didn't start reading these when they came out, because then I would've had to wait a whole year for the next one!

      I enjoy fun series. :)

      Delete
  2. LOVED this book and I do love this series!!! I think it's unique and I love love love the humor! Cannot wait for Endlessly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book was funny. It was a great read! I really need to caught up so I can finish the series. :)

      Delete
  3. I read this series a few months back and LOVED it. I think Evie is one of the funniest and most-kickass heroines around. I agree with what you said about Reth. Although I still personally don't care much for him, I think that deep down he does care about Evie and wants to protect her. However, I feel like he also does have a secret agenda so I don't how trustworthy he will be in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. He definitely cares for Evie, but he seems to have an agenda of some sort. I just wish I knew more!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read this book yet though I have it in my TBR pile. I don't know why I haven't picked it up yet but I need to fix that. Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had it in my TBR pile for the longest time. I'm glad that I finally picked it up! It was definitely worth it. :)

      Delete
  5. I thought that it was a super cute book! Compared to others, I do think that it was a bit more fluffier, but I liked it in this case! I really liked Evie and I didn't really like Reth until the end. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!