Monday, July 16, 2012

Book Review: The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Title: The Maze Runner
Author: James Dashner
Publisher: Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers
Release Date: October 6, 2009
Edition: Paperback (400 pages)
Cover Review: I thought this was kind of cool. It does represent the story... it shows the gate that locks the Gladers in the village every night. I like how you can see the maze in the distance.
Series: The Maze Runner, book 1
Main Character: Thomas



"When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse enclosed by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them, open. Every night they are closed tight. And that every 30 days a new boy is delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. Only the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets that are buried within his mind."
Story: Thomas wakes up one day in a dark lift. He doesn't know where he is or what he is doing. He only knows that his name is Thomas. Once he gets out of the lift, he realizes that he is in this village with people named "Gladers." He must learn to survive with the Gladers and stay out of the maze. Every night, the maze shuts. In the maze, there are robotic monsters that will stop at nothing to kill you.

From the start, Thomas wanted to be a runner. Runners run in the maze every day mapping out the route they take, trying to get to the exit. The only problem... no one has ever found the exit.

Everything goes as planned until a girl, Teresa, shows up in the lift. She knows her name and she says that "WICKED is good." No one knows what she means.

Thomas finds that he and Teresa have a special sort of connection-they can speak to each other with their minds. Some how, he knows that they used to be friends, but he has no idea how he possibly knows.

Throughout the book, the Gladers try to get out of the maze. (SPOILER) In the end, they finally do. But nothing can happen without sacrifice. (SPOILER DONE)

Characters: Thomas was an awesome character. He had no idea about his past, and I enjoyed that a lot. I enjoyed following him as he learned to fit in with the Gladers. I also loved how he and Teresa had a special connection. Thomas was quite a leader.

Teresa was interesting. She didn't say much, she only spoke with Thomas with her mind.

Minho was my favorite character. I don't know why really... maybe because I like his name. He was an original runner. He'd been a runner for quite a while. He taught Thomas how to be a runner.

Alby was in charge of the Glade. He was one of the first to appear in this mysterious place.

Chuck was Thomas' friend since the beginning. I really enjoyed him. He always seemed so innocent!

All in All: I would definitely recommend this book. It was awesome! I kept asking myself questions and waited for them to be answered. I loved the characters and the story. Plus, I loved how Thomas and Teresa could talk with their minds, but they had no idea how.

Rating: 5+/5 Lightning Bolts

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear what you thought!
Info at top, photo, and summary all found on Goodreads.

18 comments:

  1. ooh, I've heard a lot about this series. I haven't read any of the books in it, but I like the sound of it. Definitely going on my TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really check it out. It's an awesome Sci-Fi/Dystopian series that really makes you ask yourself questions through the whole book.

      Delete
  2. I loved the first two books in the series. I'd like to know how you like the third.

    -S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently posted a review on the third, if you'd like to check it out.

      Delete
    2. OHH I'd love to...I haven't read a lot of reviews on the third one and ones I have are mixed!

      Delete
    3. Okay. :)

      I absolutely loved the third one. Yes, it was full of surprises, but how else is a series supposed to end?

      Delete
  3. I loved Minho! So awesome.

    This booked was definitely action packed, I enjoyed it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to read this book for SO long it sounds so exciting and amazing! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it when you finally get the chance to read it!

      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a great book. Thanks for putting it on my radar. And thanks also for stopping by my blog!

    Annie in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I really suggest that you read it. :)

      Delete
  6. I second what Giselle said above...I've been meaning to read this one for AGES, and I've had a copy since it came out, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. **sighs** I'm never going to get that to-read pile under control, am I? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! My TBR pile is absolutely huge right now.

      When you get the chance to read it, I hope you love it. This series was absolutely amazing. :)

      Delete
  7. I got this out from the library once...but I returned it before I read it...
    It sounds really good though... WHY didn't I read it?! Okay, next time I see this in the library, I AM GETTING IT!!
    This book sounds really cool and mysterious :)

    Your blog really is brilliant, by the way (and I love how it's called "Downright Dystopian" because I LOVE dystopians!! Yay!)

    New follower x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! :) I love dystopians as well.

      You should really read this series. It's one of my favorites. It's full of surprises and it keeps you guessing as to what is going to happen next!

      Thanks for following. :)

      Delete
  8. This is on my shelf at home but I've been postponing it because I've read a few bad reviews. Now it's getting interesting again:-) Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!