Thursday, July 19, 2012

Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: November 30, 2010
Edition: Paperback (369 pages)
Cover Review: I love the cover. It is a reference to the book-Cassia is stuck in her society, hence the girl being stuck in a bubble.
Series: Matched, Book 1
Main Character: Cassia Reyes


"Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow."

Story: Cassia lives in a society where once you turn a certain age, you have a Matching Ceremony. On the night of Cassia's matching ceremony, she is matched with her best friend, Xander. Of course she's happy. They've been friends for a long time. Why shouldn't she be happy?

After the ceremony, each person is given a card with information about their match. Cassia puts her card in, but it doesn't show Xander. Instead, it shows Ky.

As the story continues, Ky and Cassia end up becoming friends, and they start to fall for each other. The bad thing is, Cassia still must be with her match, Xander.

Characters: Cassia was an enjoyable character. She seemed like the person who would normally stick to the rules, but I enjoyed how she went against the Society and loved Ky. It was probably definitely out of her comfort zone.

Xander kind of got on my nerves towards the end of the book. Yes, he was a great best friend, but I think he believed too much in the rules. I did like how he was always looking out for Cassia though.

Ky was my favorite character. He was so sweet to Cassia!

All in All: I would definitely recommend this story to anyone who likes Dystopian and Contemporaries, as this was a mix of both. It was a Dystopian Romance, kind of like The Selection by Kiera Cass.

Rating: 5+/5 Lightning Bolts

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear what you thought!

Info at top, summary, and photo found on Goodreads.

13 comments:

  1. I liked Matched too! The concept of the world was really interesting - where the Society controlled everything, your Match and everything. I agree - Ky was so sweet to Cassia, although I did like Xander too...

    Catherine :)
    The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xander was sweet. I feel bad saying that I liked Ky more!

      Delete
  2. I loved this book! Your review is really good! I've got ideas on how to read this with my students at school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed both of the guys, in their own ways. I think that the premise is really neat too.
    Thanks for review.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you mean! You're welcome.

      Delete
  4. Glad you enjoyed this one. I haven't read it yet so now I'm excited

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was amazing. I hope you enjoy the read as much as I did!

      Delete
  5. Glad you liked it (5/5)! I think I'm one of the only people that liked Xander more...but it's sort of because I felt bad for him. He clearly loved Cassia and then off she went with Ky. Thanks for stopping by and following my blog, I'm a new follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel bad for Xander as well. I have to say, after reading the second book, I'm kind of torn between the two. Thanks for following!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for following! :)

      I do feel bad for Xander. After reading Crossed and finding out something about Xander that I didn't expect, I don't know who I like more!

      Delete
  6. I just finished this one a few days ago, and I loved it, too! Can't wait for the next one! I'm following you with GFC now! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) Crossed was good as well, and I can't wait for Reached

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!