Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Book Review: The Death Cure by James Dashner

This book may contain spoilers for the first 2 books in the series.
To see the book 1 review, The Maze Runner, click here.
To see the book 2 review, The Scorch Trials, click here.

Title: The Death Cure
Author: James Dashner
Publisher: Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers
Release Date: October 11, 2011
Edition: Hardcover (325 pages)
Cover Review: I love the cover! I just noticed that there's snow on the cover. It looks so neat!
Series: The Maze Runner, Book 3, Final Book in the series
Main Character: Thomas


"Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.
Will anyone survive the Death Cure?"

Story: In the last book of the Maze Runner trilogy, Thomas finds that the Trials aren't over. He is kept in a cell for 20 days, and is finally released only to be told that he doesn't even have the Flare. He is then told that some of his friends do. He finds that he is considered Immune, and the world hates the Immunes. His close friend, Newt, is told that he has the Flare and is slowly becoming a Crank.

He is happy to find that Brenda & Teresa are Immune, and have nothing to worry about.

Brenda helps Newt, Minho, & Thomas escape after being told that they must have their memories restored. These three don't want their memories restored. The group of people that did want their memories restored, escaped and left without them... including Teresa.

While in Denver, Thomas finds that just about everyone is living off of Bliss, the medicine that slows down the Flare. He finally realizes that the world is slowly going crazy, and he believes that there is nothing you can do about it. He may be right.

Characters: Thomas was awesome as usual. He was such a great hero. I do wish that he gave Teresa another chance and actually realized that he did everything that she could just for HIM.

I felt like Minho tried to be a tough guy quite a lot in this one. He was always threatening to kill people. He wanted answers, and he wanted them now.

Brenda was always there for Thomas. She agreed with Thomas all the time, and proved to him that everything that happened in the Scorch was the real her. No one was controlling her.

I wish that we saw more of Teresa in this book. I kind of miss reading about her. She and Thomas had a special connection. We end up finding that Teresa left without Thomas & his friends because she was told that they had already escaped and left them.

I felt really bad for Newt in this book. He was slowly going crazy, becoming a Crank. He didn't want this for his life.

I was kind of happy that Gally was back in the story. I felt kind of bad for him knowing that he was used to kill Chuck. He didn't do it on purpose. He still feels really bad whenever he thinks about it.

All in All: This was a great ending to an even greater series. I'm sad that it's over, especially with all the sacrifices that happened in this one. I just wish that Thomas gave Teresa a chance. She really deserved it. I also wish that Thomas ended up getting his memories back. He has no idea about his past. I bet that if he did remember his past, he would enjoy life more.

I really enjoyed how the ending left you with more questions. I love endings like that! That's what makes a great story. I can't wait to read about Thomas' past in The Kill Order, which comes out next month!

Rating; 5/5 Lightning Bolts! Go read this series now!

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Photo, info at top, and summary all found on Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. We are a huge fan of this series!The characters are unforgettable. Cool review! I was surprise about Brenda and Thomas :D

    Dannielle/ TheUnseelieNerd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone should be a huge fan of this series! It was really good. I liked how there was many different personalities. I was really surprised with Brenda & Thomas, especially Teresa!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I was slightly disappointed in the last book. Maybe my expectations were too high? But I only disliked it because I Loved the first two so much, if that makes any sense at all! Tough love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that!
      I understand where you're coming from. The first two novels were hard to beat.

      I guess I was happy with the ending, just not happy with the sacrifices and who Thomas ended up with in the end. :)

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!