Friday, July 20, 2012

Book Review: Crossed by Ally Condie

This review may have spoilers for book 1, Matched. The review can be found here.

Title: Crossed
Author: Ally Condie
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Release Date: November 1, 2011
Edition: Hardcover (367 pages)
Cover Review: I like the cover. It shows that Cassia is finally escaping the Society (hence the girl punching the bubble, which is like the Society).
Series: Matched, book 2
Main Character(s): Ky Markham and Cassia Reyes


"Rules Are Different Outside The Society

Chasing down an uncertain future, Cassia makes her way to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky--taken by the Society to his sure death--only to find that he has escaped into the majestic, but treacherous, canyons. On this wild frontier are glimmers of a different life and the enthralling promise of a rebellion. But even as Cassia sacrifices every thing to reunite with Ky, ingenious surprises from Xander may change the game once again.
Narrated from both Cassia's and Ky's point of view, this hotly anticipated sequel to Matched will take them both to the edge of Society, where nothing is as expected and crosses and double crosses make their path more twisted than ever."

Story: Since Cassia got herself into the work camps, she met a girl named Indie. They end up escaping into the Carving to try and find Ky. Ky has found someone as well-Vince. Cassia and Ky end up finding each other, as well as a young boy named Eli and a man named Hunter. Together, they set off to find the Rising.

My favorite part was when Ky and Cassia were reunited. They were finally together again! It was definitely the most cheerful part of the story.

Characters: My favorite character would still have to be Ky. I feel like he's the most interesting character. He has the wildest history out of all the characters as well.

Indie was enjoyable. She knew what she wanted and she knew how to get it.

Cassia was the same. She knew that she wanted to find the Rising but she wanted to stay with Ky as well. Ky wasn't the biggest fan of the Rising, since he knew some things about it that have happened in the past.

Eli reminded Cassia a lot of her little brother, so he stayed with them as well. Hunter was picked up along the way. His daughter, Sarah, had died and he didn't have anyone left.

All in All: It was definitely a good book. I found myself getting bored a few times, but I can't really say that it's true because Ally Condie's writing is amazing. I would definitely suggest starting this series. If you've read Matched, you should definitely pick up Crossed. Reached, the final book in this trilogy, comes out this fall.

Rating: 4/5 Lightning Bolts

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Photo, summary, and info at top were all found on Goodreads.

4 comments:

  1. I loved Matched and started this one earlier this year, only to have to set it aside unfinished because of school (Grr!!). I'd heard negative things, but I'm glad that wasn't the case for you.

    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - I found Crossed almost verging on boring at times but I did find that Ally Condie wrote very beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very excited to read Reached. Hopefully it will be as good as the other two. :)

      Delete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!