Sunday, July 15, 2012

Book Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Edition: ARC
Cover Review: The cover is alright. I like how they showed the cyborg leg with the red glass slipper.
Main Character: Cinder
Series: Lunar Chronicles, book 1


"Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future."
Story line: This is a twist on a classic fairy tale, Cinderella. This story is about a girl named Cinder, who works in her own little mechanic booth. She lives in New Beijing with her sisters and step mother. She doesn't know who her parents are or where she came from... until now. She finds out some things that she didn't expect, especially once the Lunar Queen comes and tries to get Prince Kai to propose.

In New Beijing, Kai is the prince. His father ends up being a victim of the plague, and he ends up dying. This means that Kai is going to be the new king soon. He must find someone to rule the city with. He can't do it all alone.

One day while working at her booth, Prince Kai comes by and asks Cinder to fix up his android. She agrees, and Prince Kai and Cinder begin to see more and more of each other.

Cinder goes home later, and has to find something at the dump. Her little sister wants to come, and Cinder agrees. While at the dump, Cinder's sister starts to show signs of the illness. Her sister gets sick and she is taken away. Cinder's stepmother blames this all on Cinder, and Cinder starts to wonder if it was all her fault.

You see, that morning, another plague victim was also called on while she was in the market. They say that the plague is contagious, but somehow Cinder got it and passed it on to her sister without knowing.

I really enjoyed this book and found my eyes glued to the pages at parts. Whenever I'd stop reading, I'd suddenly think, "I want to read more!"

Characters: I loved the characters. Cinder was a great character. She had no idea about her past, and I enjoyed finding out about it with her. Cinder is great with mechanics, and I got a little confused at parts with the mechanic talk. I almost stopped reading because of it, but I'm glad that I didn't. Prince Kai was also great. He came up at all the right places, and he was always so nice to Cinder. He definitely had a little crush on her. It was quite clear.

All in All: I absolutely loved this book and would recommend that you read it. I can't wait for Scarlet to come out next January!

Rating: 5/5 Lightning Bolts

 

Photo, summary, and info at top found on Goodreads.

9 comments:

  1. I loved this book - it's one of my favourites from this year so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites as well. :)

      Delete
  2. It seems like everyone and their mother loved this book! Lol. I've got a copy on my shelf, and I can't wait to read it! Though it might be a little while...I've got quite a few books ahead of it in my to-read pile at the moment! Anyways...glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved it. It was such a unique take on Cinderella! I hope you like it when you read it. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally loved this one! I absolutely cannot wait for Scarlet to come out... I think Marissa Meyer did a great job in Cinder putting a new spin on Cinderella even while still keeping to the general tropes of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlet is going to be AWESOME. I love Little Red Riding Hood retellings.

      Delete
  4. Yes! I adoooooore Cinder and Scarlet was, if possible, even better. It's well worth the wait!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that Scarlet was possibly even better. I can't wait for it to come out!

      Delete
  5. I love this series! I can't wait to read Fairest and Winter! But I don't want it to end. :( This is by far one of my favorite series. New follower!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!