Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Book Review: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

9464733TItle: Beauty Queens
Author: Libba Bray
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Release Date: May 24, 2011
Edition: Hardcover (396 pages)
Cover Review: I like the cover... I found it to be very clever that the bullets were actually lipstick!
Main Character: I would consider the main character Adina, since I feel that we spent most of the book with her out of all the other girls on the island.



The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program - or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan - or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?

Welcome to the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Your tour guide? None other than Libba Bray, the hilarious, sensational, Printz Award-winning author of A Great and Terrible Beauty and Going Bovine. The result is a novel that will make you laugh, make you think, and make you never see beauty the same way again.

Story: I loved the story! I especially loved how I felt that I was watching a reality T.V. show at times with all the "Commercial Breaks" and the Introduction. I also really liked the ending!

In this novel, we follow the last remaining beauty queens that survived the plane crash on the island. The question is, was this planned or was someone trying to attack America by shooting down the beauty queen plane? The beauty queens must try to survive while on the island. Beauty queens are used to much better treatment than this. They have to build huts, find their own food, have a leader, and learn to just get along.

Characters: I thought the characters in this story were very unique. My favorite character would of course be Adina, who ends up being the leader after the former leader, Taylor, goes crazy. Adina was the only one throughout half of the novel who thought that they shouldn't be pretending to still be in the competition. Instead, they should be finding food & trying to survive. The former leader, Taylor, was the one who really wanted the competition to go on. She was having everyone practice their dance and practice answering questions everyday. I also liked "Bollywood", who always thought that Nicole was her biggest competition because no two people that were the same skin color ever won and recieved runner up at the same time. I especially loved how they never became good friends until their near-death experience failling into a quick sand pit.

I especially loved how we learned all about each character in specifics at some point throughout the novel.

All in All: I thought this book was amazing. I'm definitely re-reading this book. I borrowed this from the library, and I'm definitely going to have to buy my own copy. I really need to read some of Libba's other books.

Rating: 5/5 Lightning Bolts

Have you read this book? I'd love to hear what you think!
Photo found on goodreads, along with summary and info at the top.

6 comments:

  1. This story was hilarious! I've heard that the audio (narrated by Libba Bray herself) is also great, so I've been meaning to give that a try as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that Going Bovine was really funny too. I'm excited for The Diviners.

      I've heard the same about the Beauty Queens audio. I should really check it out!

      Delete
  2. This was my first Libba Bray book, and it was hilarious! I'd heard not so good things about Going Bovine, but now that I've enjoyed this one, I'll have to check it out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first Libba Bray book as well!

      Delete
  3. Great review! I'll have to read this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauty Queens should be required reading for all girls over the age of 12. If you yourself know anyone who is or has ever been a girl (or would like to be one) or if you yourself are or were a girl (or would like to be one) you should read this book.

    Charmaine Smith (Click here to learn about - Gold Beach Oregon Fishing Guide Service)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!