Sunday, July 29, 2012

Book Review: The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Title: The Replacement
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: September 1, 2010
Edition: Paperback (352 pages)
Cover Review: I think that the cover is creepy, but it definitely represents the story.
Main Character: Mackie Doyle


"Mackie Doyle is not one of us. Though he lives in the small town of Gentry, he comes from a world of tunnels and black murky water, a world of living dead girls ruled by a little tattooed princess. He is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now, because of fatal allergies to iron, blood, and consecrated ground, Mackie is fighting to survive in the human world.

Mackie would give anything to live among us, to practice on his bass or spend time with his crush, Tate. But when Tate's baby sister goes missing, Mackie is drawn irrevocably into the underworld of Gentry, known as Mayhem. He must face the dark creatures of the Slag Heaps and find his rightful place, in our world, or theirs."

Story: In this novel we follow Mackie as he struggles to live in the human world. He can't touch iron or smell metal. When those things do happen, he starts to get dizzy and possibly blacks out. When Mackie was younger, he was put in a crib in place of a real child. The only people that know about this are his parents and his sister. His friend can tell too, just since they've known each other for a long while. The strange thing is, the Replacements usually die... Mackie didn't.

After a child is taken from a crib and the Replacement dies, Tate asks Mackie for help. Tate's little sister, Natalie, was stolen and she knows that the child that died was not her sister; it couldn't be. Mackie refuses to help. He mustn't let anyone know what he truly is. After finding an underground mystical place where people like him live, he finds that the Morrigan (the lady in charge) has a sister, Lady. Lady is evil and she steals kids to sacrifice on All Soul's Day. She believes this is just how it has to be in the little town of Gentry.

Together, Mackie and Tate must try to get Natalie back.

Characters: Mackie was the mysterious guy at school who hung out with the popular guy. Girls secretly liked him but I don't think he really knew. I believe that Mackie wanted to be normal and not have to worry about staying away from metals. No one besides himself was ever having dizzying feelings from being near metals.

Tate wanted help, and for some reason, she knew that Mackie wasn't normal, that he was a Replacement. Throughout the whole story, she kept trying to get to the bottom of the case for her missing sister. I felt like she really cared for Mackie the whole time, but he didn't notice until close to the end.

All in All: This was a great creepy tale that was unique. I really liked the whole concept of Replacements. Most of the citizens in Gentry didn't even care when children died anymore because of how often they did. I would defnitely suggest this novel... definitely around Halloween. I also enjoyed how it was a stand alone novel instead of being part of a series. Everything seems to be in a series nowadays.

Rating: 4/5 Lightning Bolts

Have you read this novel? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Photo, summary, and info at top were all found on
Goodreads.

12 comments:

  1. I remember picking this book up in Costco and thinking it looked good. I like the whole tale revolving around the stories of the replacement. I love a good creepy tale especially in the Fall, and totally agree a good stand alone book is a find! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good. I had been avoiding it for some reason, and I'm glad that I finally picked it up.

      You're welcome! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't heard of this book prior to reading your review. I am really looking forward to reading it now. This sounds like a really unique take on a dystopian society. Thanks for the recommendation!

    Oh! Paper Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if you ever get the chance to read it. :)

      I'm not sure if it was a dystopian society or just a fantasy to be honest.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this one, too! I agree, it's so rare to read a book that isn't a part of a series. So, that combined with the creepy story made for a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you liked it as well! Even though I'm a huge fan of series, it is nice to read a great stand alone. :)

      Delete
  4. Another great review :D Saw this book on sale, will definitely buy this book

    -Dannielle/ The Unseelie Nerd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy it. :)

      Delete
  5. Definitely agree about the creepiness as well as the uniqueness-it actually made it hard to read since it was so different from everything I'm used to reading. And it was so great to read a standalone that wasn't contemporary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love standalones that aren't contemporary! Though I do have to say contemporaries are pretty good. :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an awesome premise and well done. Thank you for review.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! (: Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I read each and every one!